4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Use of alternative *.dot (Word 2000 SR-1 Win ME)

I received a copy of Word 2000 SR-1 with Works in my new PC, a Windows ME, Dell Dimension. My problem is opening up new documents with different *.dot templates.

The help menu describes the way Word 97 worked, with a window opening up when you open File/New, from which you pick the document you want. In my word 2000, there is no option when I open File/New. It just opens up with the normal.dot template.

Can you help?

Thanks

Re: Use of alternative *.dot (Word 2000 SR-1 Win ME)

By File/New you mean you click on the file menu and select the New command?

See <A target="_blank" HREF=http://addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm> Template Basics</A> (addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm) for information on the different kinds of templates, where they are stored, and how to get them to show up under the File => New dialog.

Do you see different templates with tabbed dividers for other categories? If so and normal.dot is the only template showing up, it means that others haven't been installed. Go back and reinstall / refresh Works. You may have to do a custom install to force the templates to load.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Thanks

If you go into Tools, Customize..., you'll find two File New commands, New... and New (also known as FileNewDefault). The latter is the one on the toolbar for creating a new blank document. Maybe your File menu has the wrong one? You could try dragging the New... command to your menu and see if it works. If it doesn't work, then perhaps there's a macro at fault, intercepting the command.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If I go to Files/New then I am presented with another option

Thanks

The thing is, if you have your template folders properly set up, your templates should be appearing on the first screen (not after you click on "More Word Templates") after File => New or under one of the tabs.

In Word 2000 your user templates folder should be a different folder from the one that Word uses to hold its own templates. Again, see <A target="_blank" HREF=http://addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm> Template Basics</A>(addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm) for information on the different kinds of templates, where they are stored, and how to get them to show up under the File => New dialog.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin