2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Invalid Procedure Call on a UNION Query: what to do?

I am trying to perform a Union of the results from 3 very simple Select Queries, each of which pulls a different portion of one source query, and modifies two fields with alpha information (text). When I try to perform the UNION, I get the Invalid Procedure Call message. I have tried putting an extra Select Query between the three original Queries and the Union, and gave them names without spaces, but no help.
    Any ideas, please?
    I'm a long-time user, but at a very unsophisticated level. I can read SQL, but mostly use the point-and-click of Access to create what I need.
    thanks
    Bob

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've found a way to do more research on this problem. The issue is caused by one field only. T he content of that field comes from a Left(...field..., variable number of characters). Can the problem be that the resulting field size is different in the queries that I'm trying to do the UNION on? If so, how does one specify what the resulting field width should be from the Left operation?
    thanks
    Bob

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Aha, I found a solution: use UNION ALL, rather than UNION. I have no idea whatsoever why this should make any difference, but it surely does!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for posting this. Now maybe someone can explain the difference between Union and Union All.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi caveman,
    According to http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B28359_01/...queries004.htm, Union excludes duplicate results, whereas Union All does not.

Dave

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DavidHLevin For This Useful Post:

caveman144 (2014-10-22)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks David. I should have recognized the Oracle terminology.