Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Post lost file sharing

Hijacking somewhat - I found win 10 installed easily and runs stuff pretty well - but killed my file sharing. I was nicely set up with all pcs having the same log on credentials and all worked fine. Now win 10 requires an eddress logon as standard, and mixed case passwords. I tried the local account with my old credentials - still nothing. the network itself is fine - internet ok, team viewer works in all directions - but nothing via network in windows explorer etc.
    Clues?

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Peter,

1st things 1st... How & where did you install Win 10 TP? Once have this basic info can know what to say or what direction to go, next. Thanks.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Windows 10OS.jpg

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Peter,

Did you check the Workgroup name? It defaaults to Wokgroup so if you changed it on your other PCs you need to change it on the W10 install. HTH

P.S. I know this is obvious but sometimes....
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win 10 network

Drew,
    A straight install from MS' download on one of the pc's on my net. (Was win 7 HP on a toshiba laptop). No dual boot, no virtualisation - nothing fancy.

Also - I never changed from "workgroup" on the net - though I had not checked the default still applied on win 10 - but it does.

However this led me to try the "Set up a new connection or network" wizard - and part way through it asked me to choose between a home or business network - and it had defaulted to business. Changing to home half solved my problem. Win 10 can now see the rest of the network, but not vice versa. Running the troubleshooter on win 10 says nothing found, on a win 7 pc I get "file and printer sharing resource (TOSHIBA) is online but isn't responding to connection attempts"

Continuing!

Banned Member
    Thanks
    This issue is hard to advise from this vantage point. What all machines are on this "Network"?

No offence meant & certainly, what's done is done. It is not a matter of anything "fancy". It is just that a running OS should not be overwritten w/ a Beta OS. The correct approach is spare box, spare drive, VHD or VM. Should only update or upgrade w/ an RTM or GA.

When you expand Network in the nav tree what machines show? All? Can you connect via Homegroup?

Cheers,
    Drew
    Windows 10OS.jpg

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by petermat View Post
    Drew,
    A straight install from MS' download on one of the pc's on my net. (Was win 7 HP on a toshiba laptop). No dual boot, no virtualisation - nothing fancy.

Also - I never changed from "workgroup" on the net - though I had not checked the default still applied on win 10 - but it does.

However this led me to try the "Set up a new connection or network" wizard - and part way through it asked me to choose between a home or business network - and it had defaulted to business. Changing to home half solved my problem. Win 10 can now see the rest of the network, but not vice versa. Running the troubleshooter on win 10 says nothing found, on a win 7 pc I get "file and printer sharing resource (TOSHIBA) is online but isn't responding to connection attempts"

Continuing!
    Have you enabled "network discovery" and "file and printer sharing"? Go to Control Panel | Network and Sharing Center | Change advanced sharing (left hand navigation pane) to check or change your settings.

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Re pc's on the net - 3 win 7 HP pc's plus the win 10 pc.

Re the pc (TOSHIBA) with win 10 - effectivelly it was a 'spare box'. It never had any unique data on it and I have three different ways of restoring the win 7 system from bootable media.

All machines show in the net tree on all pc's. Win 10 can access shared folders on all other pc's, none of the Win 7s can access the win 10's shared folders. Win 10's folders which are supposed to be shared are, their name is ok and so are their permissions. Programs like Team viewer and sysnergy have no problem working across the net. win 10 claims to belong to the homegroup. I have run through the pasword change routine. I also tried setting up a second (admin) user on win 10 with the same id as on all the win 7 pcs

- and, yes, Joe, File and printer sharing and network discovery are on.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Sounds like you have covered all the bases; not much left to say why it not as expected. I'm wondering if it could be due to this being an early beta build. Although, that sounds like making an excuse.

Sorry, I can't add much you haven't already done or checked.

Cheers,
    Drew

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK thanks all for asking pertinant questions / comments / suggestions. I guess I will wait on some updates and see what transpires.

Thanks
    Change from a Microsoft account login to a Local Login so you can use the same logins as the other PCs on the network:
    Win key +c
    Settings
    Change Pc Settings
    Users and Accounts
    Click on Disconnect under your log in

Jerry

Thanks
    Peter,

Just a shot in the dark but you could try turning off the 2 Home Group services.
    HomeGroup Listener
    HomeGroup Provider

HTH

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Peter,

Just a shot in the dark but you could try turning off the 2 Home Group services.
    HomeGroup Listener
    HomeGroup Provider

HTH
    I don't recognise these services on win 10 or 7. Where are they, and on which Win do you suggest I try turning these off?

Re setting up a local account as well as the initial default - I did that. Currently the Win 10 can see the net from either. and GoodSync on win 10 can pull in files from net pcs. However win 7 pcs can see the win 10 but not access any folders set up as shared and with control permission. Similarly GoodSync on win 7 cannot access the win 10 shared folders

Thanks
    Peter,

I routinely turn off / disable these two services on all my Win 7+ machines since I don't use home groups. YMMV. HTH
    homegroup services.JPG

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    RG,
    Sorry - missed the key word "services". However turning them on and off on a win 7 machine made no difference to that machines ability to see 'into' the win 10 pc. Trying to do the same on win 10 was abortive. MMC.exe runs but all the content of the usual console windows is missing. Clearly the services are running - but they just have not connected mmc to them yet - or they are going to be managed some other way. Entering "services", "console", "Listener" or "management" in the start box just takes one to the Bing wide world! Only mmc gets you to the console.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    If you have third party security software on the Windows 10 PC disable it temporarily and test access. If you can access the Win10 PC you have your culprit. The third party software may need to be update to work properly with Win10.

If you don't have third party security software or you still can't access the Win10 PC with the software disabled then turn off the firewall on the Win10 PC and test again. If you can access the Win10 PC then you have a firewall problem.

Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast