Lounger
    Thanks

Exclamation Windows 8.1 October Rollup KB2995388 Affects VMware

To my fellow lounge lizards who use VMware Workstation or Player: The Windows 8.1 October Rollup KB2995388 can cause VMware Workstation/Player to fail to open virtual machines with the message: "Not enough physical memory available to power on this virtual machine with its configured settings."

The VMware forums have several posts on this issue and VMware tech support is aware of the problem.

In general I am loathe to uninstall updates, however KB2995388 is described as an 'optional' update. That being the case, I uninstalled the update and my problem went away.

From what I understand, the problem may be on VMware's end rather than Microsoft's end, so VMware will push a fix.

Am I the first to report this? Is there a reward for that? Just park it in the driveway, thanks.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    I'm sure a huge reward from VMware is on its way.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Lounge Ranger View Post
    To my fellow lounge lizards who use VMware Workstation or Player: The Windows 8.1 October Rollup KB2995388 can cause VMware Workstation/Player to fail to open virtual machines with the message: "Not enough physical memory available to power on this virtual machine with its configured settings."

The VMware forums have several posts on this issue and VMware tech support is aware of the problem.

In general I am loathe to uninstall updates, however KB2995388 is described as an 'optional' update. That being the case, I uninstalled the update and my problem went away.

From what I understand, the problem may be on VMware's end rather than Microsoft's end, so VMware will push a fix.

Am I the first to report this? Is there a reward for that? Just park it in the driveway, thanks.
    Thank you so much, I have the same problem just few minutes ago after update with KB2995388. Your posting was very useful, because after uninstalling optional update things were fine again as before.

Thank you once again!!!!!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Glad that it doesn't affect Virtual Box.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I also have this issue after installing the October updates.

As a workaround:

Open the config.ini file located at C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware Workstation.

Add this line:

vmmon.disableHostParameters = "TRUE"

Save & reboot your PC.

Thanks
    So far, I have not experienced any problem with VMWare (V9.0.4) since installing the update to my Win8.1 64-bit system. (Holding thumbs).
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.