5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How to make standard Windows apps portable

LANGALIST PLUS

How to make standard Windows apps portable

By Fred Langa

Some standard apps can be made portable they don't require installation to run and can be conveniently carried around on a flash drive. Plus: A reader seeks a safe, malware-free utility for downloading videos from YouTube, and Google's new 64-bit Chrome is faster and more stable than the 32-bit version.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/how-to-make-standard-windows-apps-portable/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    On YouTube downloaders, I've used Firefox plugins with no malware issues.
    Often, the uploaded file is MP4, making that an easy selection option - no conversion required (which can tend to reduce quality). It is also often higher quality than the default displayed.

Lately, I've used Flash Video Downloader (which can download any available types)
    Occasionally, I use DownloadHelper, though they're a little pushier.
    I also used BYTubeD, a bulk downloader for a long series.

DownloadThemAll is also handy for downloading other file types, like the images from a page. Occasionally you run into a site with hundreds of talks, for example. Much easier to do a managed download than one at a time.

Thanks
    On RoboForm and Chrome 64bit, but note that I didn't have the 32bit version of Chrome installed previously. I downloaded and installed Chrome 64 which went smoothly. Imported my Favorites from IE10 which also added the "Favorites bar" at the top of the Chrome window. However, when I added RoboForm as an extension, it did not work. The icon appeared (greyed out) but did not work. Went to the RoboForm website, clicked on "Platforms" then on Chrome. In the bottom part of the page on troubleshooting, the first answer - reinstalling RoboForm - solved my issue. It's this page: http://www.roboform.com/platforms/windows/google-chrome

Thanks Fred!
    "A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill." Robert A. Heinlein