Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How to safely test-drive Win10 step by step

TOP STORY

By Fred Langa

As with any product that's still in development, running Windows 10 Technical Preview has risks. The safest and easiest way to install and work with the preview of the next Windows is within a virtual machine here's how.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/top-story/how-to-safely-test-drive-win10-step-by-step (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen Atkins View Post

TOP STORY

By Fred Langa

As with any product that's still in development, running Windows 10 Technical Preview has risks. The safest and easiest way to install and work with the preview of the next Windows is within a virtual machine here's how.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/top-story/how-to-safely-test-drive-win10-step-by-step (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    All well and good but there seems to be a common problem with no 'cure' yet. To SHARE A FOLDER you must run the Guest Additions. Doesn't work:

Capture.JPG

Googling this other have the problem too. Some have been able to fix it, others can't? I've not been able too. Just thought you should know.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Post Superb! Wish I still had that *Rate this Article* box

Once again Fred's done an outstanding job of explaining step-by-step a software procedure new to me. Fred's articles cover topics I could probably figure out on my own with enough trial and error, but the details (and the warnings!) have saved me a lot of grief and hunting for information more than once. This article has convinced me to take the plunge and try Win 10 Preview.

Question: It certainly was complicated having to sign on to this forum, to give this article the 5 it deserves. What became of the Rate-this-article box that used to appear at the bottom of each article? It made such a vote quick and easy. Is it somewhere else and I'm just missing it? If this feature has been dropped, please, newsletter editor, consider reinstating it. If it's still there and my setup is not displaying it, can anyone give advice on what I do to display all content in Windows Secrets Newsletter?

Thank you, everyone who makes Windows Secrets possible, but a particular thanks to Fred Langa for his detailed instructive articles.

Still a relative newbie

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Fred,

I've been trying for a week to install The Windows Ten program on an old Dell computer that is 10 years old and has Windows XP installed. The system would not recognize the installation program and gave me an error code 6x00000050D and 4 other codes.

I'll have to try the VPC method on 5 year old home built system running Windows7 HP.

Dave

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Fred,

Having never tried setting up a "virtual machine", is it possible to "clone" say your current Win 8.1 system to a VPC on that same system and then doing an update on the VPC to Win 10?

This would give one a more direct way to test out all the "goodies" and/or "???" of Windows 10.

prb
    Last edited by PRB; 2014-10-16 at 13:11.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Your instructions are very clear and detailed. I appreciate that. However, I did encounter one problem. When I created a new Virtual PC using VirtualBox it didn't give me an option to select Windows 8.1 64-bit. Only the 32-bit option was available. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601). Do you have any idea why this might be happening and what if anything I could do to fix it? Also, if I'm not able to fix it, do I need to download the 32-bit preview instead?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm running 64-bit Windows 8.1 on a desktop with an AMD CPU that supports virtualization. I also confirmed it is supported and running, using the tools noted in the column.

However, in Virtual Box, in setting up the guest OS, there wasn't any Windows 8.1 (64-bit) OS choice showing up, nor any other 64-bit OS choice.

I solved this problem by going into the Windows 8.1 host's 'Control Panel'/'Programs & Features'/'Turn Windows features on or off", and unchecked 'Hyper-V' and it's children, and hit the 'OK' button. Then a reboot put it into effect, and then, when I returned to Virtual Box, 64-bit OS'es showed up for those where there's such an option, including 'Windows 8.1 (64-bit)'.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Just nitpicking here but I disagree with the statement The safest and easiest way to install and work with the preview of the next Windows is within a virtual machine

If you have a spare PC sitting around just clean install the technical preview on it. But if not then yes the virtual machine is the way to go.
    Last edited by paulgj; 2014-10-16 at 15:23.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Fred, for a well written, easy to follow article. As a result of your excellent tutelage, I installed the Win 10 preview on a virtual machine on my home computer today. I am quite psyched. This version of windows is almost exactly what I had hoped would replace win 8.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am running win7 x64 Ultimate and the install only shows x32 choices for me. I've checked the 'Turn Windows Features on or off" but don't see a selection for Hyper-v. Any idea what I would do to copy your results on this win 7 box?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Although I appreciate the detailed explanation of how to run Windows 10 under VPN, I am surprised at omission of that other option, namely Dual Boot.

Yes, it takes more time to set up a separate disk partition for Windows 10, but after that it is a somewhat straight install and there is no overhead when running Windows 10 (since VPN is not required). I did this before, to be able to run Windows 8 on a PC that was set up with Windows 7, and it worked extremely well.

Was that option an oversight or is VPN a better alternative? If so - WHY?
    Last edited by Chops; 2014-10-16 at 20:25.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm glad someone got it to work with Virtual Box. I gave up after 6 hours and installed it in VM Ware. The virtual machine seemed slow, so I pulled drive 1 out of my laptop and put in a spare and am running Windows 9/10 straight. Sorry, but I still call it the METRO interface. Drive 2 has all my data and isn't effected. It even has the drivers for the one piece of hardware Win 9/10 didn't recognize.

Dual boot is an option, but if it severely crashes, it's also going to wipe out your other install. I've done dual boots (XP and 7) and lost both partitions. Safer to have a dual drive system and replace the OS drive. Even an 80 Gig SSD is less than $100.00. Perfect type of drive to use for testing. I actually had a 120 Gig SSD laying around after upgrading to 480 Gig.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    That was a lot of information. I just used a spare PC and a spare wiped hard drive - put the 64 bit ISO file on a thumbdrive and installed it over a fresh Win 7 with no data or programs. No VM, No Dual Boot, No data loss.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Hey Y'all,

FWIWm I couldn't get access to my home network from the TP10 VM with the default NAT setting. I Experimined and found that I could get access using the Bridged Adapter setting and putting in my router's gateway IP and sub-net mask.
    tp10bridge.JPG
    HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred,

In your article you stated, "If you’re currently running 64-bit Windows, you can download and run either the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Win10 Preview; if you have a 32-bit system, you can use only the 32-bit version."

I am currently running 32-bit Windows 7 Pro, but with a 64-bit processor. Using VMware I was able to easily install 64-bit Windows 10 Tech. Preview. If functions fine and I have had absolutely no issues.

So, the upshot is that it appears that the processor must be 64-bit but the host operating system can be 32-bit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast