5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No Network Connection Center & broken IE8

I'm having significant problems with IE8, Chrome and generally connecting to the Internet. I don't know how this happened. I recently un-installed AVG anit-virus when it would not successfully update (and no phone number to call about that.) Last weekend my Verizon FIOS router upgrade was installed and the speed tests I can run even now are working fine. So it's not that. But IE8 gets completely stuck on the Conntecting effort (unless I've completely rebooted the PC). I get gibberish when I try the APOD website. Google Chrome can't even take me to Google.com, and when I close Outlook, it can't finish the Send/Receive..the progress bar freezes. Even starting IE wihtout add-ins doesn't work. I have to reboot.
    When I click on the Network link in the Start window, I get a blank window. Nothing. So somehow that's affecting everything, yet I can post this question after rebooting the PC.
    I'm looking for diagnostics or suggestions as to what to do. It's driving me crazy to have high speed Internet that can't even load Google.com.
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Have you run anti-virus & anti-malware scans?

Have you tried a system restore?

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I have. I have never seen VHP ask or report creating a system restore point. I thought that was XP, but I'm no expert. AVG would simply not update so I temporarily uninstalled it. ZA is still working. My next move is to boot in safe mode and try to get a "Last know good configuration" if such a thing exists.