3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re-formatting very slow HP Mini 210

I have been given an HP Mini 210-1000 computer - 2 MB RAM and Windows 7 Starter edition. It is very very slow, about five minutes to boot-up and seven minutes to load/install updates to MS security anti-virus. All operations are very slow. I have done all of the things recommended in Windows Secrets to speed it up but to no avail. I think it probably needs the hard disk wiping and the operating system re-installing but how do I do it - I have a copy of Windows 7 Home but not starter edition. I have downloaded the manual and apparently there is a set-up utility in which you can restore default settings but there is no mention of re-installation; maybe there is a hidden partition with repair software - if there is how do I access it.

Thanks
    to reset your laptop, restart and press F11 several times. Your computer will automatically load to recovery manager and you can factory restore you computer from there. Just to complicate things, earlier devices used F10 instead. If F11 doesn't work try that.

Alternatively, click start menu, click all programs and scroll to "Hp backup and recovery" or "Backup and recovery" click it and proceed for the factory default setting.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Calimanco For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2014-10-17)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    This HP article will guide you through a factory reset http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...s&dlc=en&lc=en

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2014-10-17)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you both. I have watched the video and copied the instructions and will "hopefully" do a full factory restore.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I followed the instructions and now the netbook is fine. Thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mike21 View Post
    I followed the instructions and now the netbook is fine. Thanks
    A factory reset cleans out the clutter that builds up in the registry and I've seen it advised to do one about once a year, but that was a while ago and probably didn't take into consideration how long it takes these days for all of the Windows Updates to download and install - not to mention reinstalling programs and printer.

If you opted for the reset that excluded the trial programs then you won't have as much of the other bloatware to uninstall using a 3rd party uninstaller program.