New Lounger
    Thanks

startup repair after windows updates

after installing the updates for 10/14/14, it said I needed to restart my computer. When it tried to restart Startup Repair came up and said my computer couldn't start and it would try to make repairs. After about 20 minutes it made the repairs and the computer started alright. When I went back to windows updates, it still listed all of the updates that had previously said they were installed successfully as needing to be installed.
    Did the startup repair uninstall the updates. If so how do I get them to stay installed?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Updates

Did the startup repair uninstall the updates. If so how do I get them to stay installed?

The startup repair restored your computer to before the updates were installed, (same happened to me). Just click start, type "windows update" enter and it will find the updates you'll need, if it already hasn't happened on its own.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kenny555 For This Useful Post:

Bob Doyle (2014-10-18)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It could have been caused by KB2949927 so if they are presented again for install, ensure that one remains unchecked and hide it to stop it auto installing along with the rest - but it may have already been pulled by MS as they are aware of it causing boot problems on some machines.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

Bob Doyle (2014-10-18)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Sudo15 for the information. I checked back and that is one that failed, and caused the problem.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Doyle View Post
    Thanks Sudo15 for the information. I checked back and that is one that failed, and caused the problem.
    There is a method to get it to successfully install as posted on the forum in another thread, but Susan Bradley the WU Guru recommends uninstalling it if it has successfully installed - which is what I've done.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Susan Bradley the WU Guru recommends uninstalling it if it has successfully installed - which is what I've done.
    As I read it on Patch Watch, her advice was that it doesn't need to be uninstalled if it has been installed successfully. Have you seen different?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tandor View Post
    As I read it on Patch Watch, her advice was that it doesn't need to be uninstalled if it has been installed successfully. Have you seen different?
    I think it was discussed in a thread about KB2952664 and Joe provided a link where Susan Bradley admitted to slipping up with that one and advised to remove it as a preventative measure, but the thread seems to have dropped off the threads list.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tandor View Post
    I've just uninstalled it on my other Win 7 x64 laptop today and after the reboot it froze.

After a power shutdown, an offboot sfc /scannow which came back clean, things gradually started to work but Event Viewer recorded http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...integrity.aspx but rather than go through the commands, I used last month's system image to restore with and am now in the process of updating MBAM, Flash Player, Java and Firefox.

KB2949927 didn't present in the WUs this time around.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    I think it was discussed in a thread about KB2952664 and Joe provided a link where Susan Bradley admitted to slipping up with that one and advised to remove it as a preventative measure, but the thread seems to have dropped off the threads list.
    How can one determine if I have already installed this update? File seach on start button did not reveal this file installed. Way too many updates to scroll thru one by one. Would like to block if could find it. Thanks in advance

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    In Installed Updates there's a Search box top right - enter KB2952664 and Windows will list any matching KBs until you enter the full number.

If you have it installed then you can right click on it there and select Uninstall.