2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up Dual booting Windows 10 & XP

To see if my old hardware (Athlon 64 x2 3800, 2GB DDR2 ram) was up to it, I thought I'd try the TP, installed to a second hard drive, so as to not mess up my XP boot process. This was a mistake (the way I did it), as if the install program sees another MS OS, even on another drive, it installs its own boot code on the current active partition, and then offers you an OS choice (in spite of my making the intended Win10 partition active). The main downside to this is the boot code for Win10 is quite slow cf XP, and I found I had to wait while it loaded, until I could select XP (identified as 'other OS'). I had intended the PC to keep booting XP by default, and was going to use the BIOS boot option to select the 2nd (Win10) drive when I wanted it.

I did cure this, but it required disconnecting hard drive #1 while I installed Win10 on drive 2 (so the boot code was on drive 2), reconnecting drive 1 and repairing the XP drive (#1) boot code using the XP recovery console (won't go into the details). The fact that the Win10 install was quite quick made this less hassle than it might have been. I spent some time (unsuccessfully) trying to find a way to start Win10 from the XP boot options, but discovered this was quite easy using Grub4Dos, which I had installed to enable booting of Linux Mint.

So the point of this ramble was to say watch out if installing as dual boot, and if you want to avoid having to use the BIOS boot options, Grub4Dos is the way to go. Details if anyone cares.

PS Windows 10 runs pretty well on my old hardware, it does not feel as sluggish as Windows 7 on a nominally 2.5x faster CPU on another PC, and my 10-year old wifi PCI card worked immediately (as did the 8-year old on-board sound and all other devices tested so far).

FWIW, in finding it quite difficult to get the re-instated start menu to work as I use it in XP and Win7 (it just won't), I am coming round to liking the start screen. Its not perfect, but rather than bashing my head against a brick wall...

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Just notice the heading of this thread. Bit like a horse that's been put out to pasture & a new foal.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Windows 10OS.jpg

Thanks
    Try this one I just stall it on Oct 17 2014 on windows 10 for using installing AutoCAD 95LT works great
    Then I install AutoCAD 2000 LT
    https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
    Use Windows XP
    I also try Windows 2000 works great too but did not have a display drive
    This better than dual booting you switch back

Good luck
    Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Foals tend to be a bit wobbly....
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    Foals tend to be a bit wobbly....
    Ah, but, they become steady quickly And damn spry, too, very fast.

Cheers,
    Drew