Thread: 64 bit Chrome

Thanks

64 bit Chrome

I've used FireFox almost as long as it has been around. I initially moved to it from IE because of security problems with the latter. I've stayed away from Chrome for a long time, mostly because FireFox was working fine and because of suspicions about Google's ulterior motives. They make their money from advertizing and directing you to places to spend your money and they are very good at it.
    But after so many years of using FireFox and having read the article in today's Windows Secrets I wonder if I should revisit Chrome.
    FireFox has good popup and ad blockers. Does Chrome?
    FireFox has some great plug-ins such as FireFTP and ReloadEvery which I use daily.
    FireFox has nifty tabs that I can move around if I like.
    Etc.
    So how does this new Chrome stack up? If I like FireFox but find it a bit slow in some respects, will Chrome be better?
    Does Chrome uninstall cleanly if I decide I hate it?
    Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Backspacer,

I just loaded this on my laptop and it seems to work just fine. It picked up my settings and even my ChromeCast setup from the 32 bit install. I loaded latest version of RoboForm and it works even though TTBOMK it's a 32 bit app! I also loaded TaperMonkey (Grease Monkey for Chrome) and installed Jefferson's wonderful WSL New Posts script and it works like a champ. I can no longer stand using WSL w/o it! HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What has always kept me from Chrome is the lack of the "master password" feature that Firefox provides.
    Whilst it is not a substitute for a secure/standalone password manager, it is a very useful function for me on non-critical websites such as this.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    Chrome works well and I prefer it over Firefox. Chrome 64 does have a memory issue, though, so have a look from time to time at memory used. I gave caught it taking 2GB or RAM. Shutting it down and restarting it solves the issue.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trev View Post
    on non-critical websites such as this.
    How could you say such a thing? ROTFLOL.gif
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2014-10-17 at 14:13.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The attachment link is invalid and won't open for me.

Thanks
    Trev,

Scroll back and see if it works now.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That's a relief, thought I'd spoken out of turn...

Thanks
    Trev,

With all this deep techno babble we have to have a little fun every now and then!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Sounds like Chrome is getting better, but I'll probably wait until something really stands out to make me switch.

I still haven't heard how Chrome treats ads. I suppose I also wonder if it interacts more with Google than other browsers - tracking and divulging all of your web behavior, for example. I'm not paranoid, but I do know that Google is very amoral in its business practices and I just don't trust them.

At least it's not a car. Just think when those driverless Google cars start pulling into the nearest Google-associated restaurant when they think it's time for you to eat lunch...

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Backspacer View Post

I still haven't heard how Chrome treats ads. I suppose I also wonder if it interacts more with Google than other browsers - tracking and divulging all of your web behavior, for example. I'm not paranoid, but I do know that Google is very amoral in its business practices and I just don't trust them.
    ABP seems to work very well and is stable on Chrome--had to finally add it after this very website had a banner ad that would blow up over the whole page just from mousing over it on the way to the menu line.
    Also, I'd take that bet all day long that Google is LESS amoral or intrusive on average than the mean of all other companies engaged in similar activities. They are the 800lb. gorilla so they get 10 times the scrutiny and are thus excessively nit-picked while others fly under the radar ALL the time.

Thanks
    I think they are a lot bigger than the 800 pound gorilla and even if they are very moral you still need to be careful around such a large beast. Still, allowing ABP to run is a step in the right direction. Is there a way to see what add-ons are available before I download it? My other two requirements are a FireFTP equivalent and a Reload Every equivalent.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Well there's an Easy Auto Refresh and FTP Free extension but I don't know if they're any good or not. Just go to the Chrome Web Store site to search or preview extensions before deciding to add them or not.