New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Office 365 sluggish performance

Have used Office 2010 Pro for years. Recently signed up for and downloaded Office 365 to my W7 laptop and W8 desktop. I am plagued by significant performance degradation, especially in Excel and PowerPoint. Simple tasks like moving from cell to cell (using arrow keys) result in screen and cursor freezing for several seconds, then releasing. In PowerPoint, simply going from slide to slide is incredibly (albeit, intermittently) slow. Anyone else have performance issues? Could it be because I have both Office 2010 and Office 365 (2013) installed? I have taken the same spreadsheet and performed the same actions in both 2010 and 365. 2010 is fine, 365 is slow. This is true on both W7 laptop and W8 desktop. I have done both local and internet repairs on Office 365. No luck. I can't find my Office 2010 CD's, so am nervous about uninstalling 2010 to see if that fixes 365. Any ideas?

Note: spreadsheet is 1.7 Meg and has many calcs & links.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I doubt office 2013, which is what you downloaded and installed, is affected by an existing Office 2010 install. I had them both while running the Office 2013 beta and had no issues, performance or otherwise.

What Office version did you install, 32 or 64 bit?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Are you working on local files with the full applications or are you using the web apps and working on OneDrive?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I cannot find any reference to whether the Office 365 (Office 2013) I downloaded is 64- or 32- bit.

I am completely offline using local Office and local files.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    To check the bitness of Office, open any Office program, go to File | Office Account | About. Look in the first line of the About box.

Have you checked Task Manager to see if there is some other process taking significant resources?

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    If you choose File->Office Account (or just Account) -> About (Word or Outlook or whatever Office app you are using) , you will know whether you are using a 32 or 64 bit office version.

P.S.: Joe beat me to it for a long shot .
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Does it matter that my computer is 64 bit but my Office 2013 suite is 32 bit?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay, it says 32-bit. I don't recall having a choice when I subscribed to or downloaded Office 365 Home Edition. My Win7 is 64-bit.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I don't think that is the problem, then.

Have you ever tried opening task manager and check CPU percentage use and maybe disk access when using Office 365?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Question: Does Office 365 interact with on-line files all the time, or just when you are using web apps and/or working on OneDrive?

If there is on-line communication going on all the time, that could explain the slowness.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    Question: Does Office 365 interact with on-line files all the time, or just when you are using web apps and/or working on OneDrive?

If there is on-line communication going on all the time, that could explain the slowness.
    There is no "Office365" as an installable app suite. Office365 is the more name of the mechanism used to buy Office through a subscription plan. What you get to install locally is still Office 2013 (at the moment), installable using "Click to run" technology, and then you end up with Office 2013 installed. Once installed it behaves just as any other Office version.
    Rui
    -------
    R4