Thread: win 10 trial

Star Lounger
    Thanks

win 10 trial

Dear Forum Members, a question please. I have followed Fred Langa,s article to try win 10 but am stuck at the step to download windows 10 trial software. It is I believe a ISO file. I am running win 7 64 bit. The virtual box is installed. The download option is currently in win7. I have not initiated the download for fear of having it go to the win 7 operating system rather than the Virtual box. How do I proceed from here? Will there be an option to have the download go to my CD/DVD drive? If anyone can answer these questions it would be very much appreciated. Regards Peter

Thanks
    You can download the iso file to any location as it is just a data file and downloading it will not have any affect on the current OS. You use the iso file to create a bootable DVD using third party software like Burn Aware or CDBurner XP.

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    ...You use the iso file to create a bootable DVD...
    See Windows Secrets Newsletter, Issue 453 2014-10-16, Fred Langa's article "How to safely test-drive Win10 — step by step".

As Fred explains, "VirtualBox" can open ISO files via a "virtual optical drive", so it is not necessary to burn the ISO to a DVD.

I plan to install and run the Win10 preview on a spare HDD partition. I use "BootIt Bare Metal" (see http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/) boot manager to boot between three Windows installations, so will burn the ISO to DVD (I won't be using a virtual machine).
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I downloaded the .iso file and burned it to DVD, actually not the file itself but used Roxio Easy CD and DVD Creator to create the disc from that file. An .iso file is an image of the original disc, creates a duplicate when the original is not available. It's quite common in the Linux arena for downloading Operating Systems then burn the bootable disc.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    I downloaded the .iso file and burned it to DVD, actually not the file itself but used Roxio Easy CD and DVD Creator to create the disc from that file. An .iso file is an image of the original disc, creates a duplicate when the original is not available. It's quite common in the Linux arena for downloading Operating Systems then burn the bootable disc.
    Thank you all for your help. As my computer locked up after the Microsoft software which is needed to download the Win 10 trial and caused me to format C: and restore it using Acronis ( reason for my late reply). I decided to not venture any further into the adventure. So I will wait until a less complicated package is available. Regards Peter

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by petrox View Post
    Dear Forum Members, a question please. I have followed Fred Langa,s article to try win 10 but am stuck at the step to download windows 10 trial software. It is I believe a ISO file. I am running win 7 64 bit. The virtual box is installed. The download option is currently in win7. I have not initiated the download for fear of having it go to the win 7 operating system rather than the Virtual box. How do I proceed from here? Will there be an option to have the download go to my CD/DVD drive? If anyone can answer these questions it would be very much appreciated. Regards Peter
    Peter,

You download the appropiate ISO x64 in your case and save it wherever you like on your HDD. Then use ImgBurn to burn a DVD. So you have to install ImgBurm 1st. Then you point @ the optical drive holding the DVD when you go to build the virtual machine of Win10. However, you can avoid all the burning & DVD part. When you go to build the VM just point in your case VirtualBox @ the ISO file. Quick n easy. There, really, is no good reason to bother burning a DVD.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Windows 10OS.jpg

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Thank you all for your help. As my computer locked up after the Microsoft software which is needed to download the Win 10 trial and caused me to format C: and restore it using Acronis ( reason for my late reply). I decided to not venture any further into the adventure. So I will wait until a less complicated package is available. Regards Peter
    Peter,

What software?? You go to this page or web site, find the English x64 version & hit the Download button. What software??

Cheers,
    Drew
    Windows 10OS.jpg
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2014-10-18 at 04:03.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Drew, the Windows Insider Program. According to Fred Langa you need that program prior to download win 10 trial into the Virtual Box. Anyway according to him you need a CPU that is Hardware Virtualization capable. Mine is not it is an old AMD FX 64 dual Core.Regards Peter

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Windows 10 Tech Preview System Requirements:
    A preview for PC experts

Windows Technical Preview is here today, but it’s a long way from done. We’re going to make it faster, better, more fun at parties...you get the idea. Join the Windows Insider Program to make sure you get all the new features that are on the way. If you’re okay with a moving target and don’t want to miss out on the latest stuff, keep reading. Technical Preview could be just your thing.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...w-faq#faq=tab0

Hardware, pretty much the same as for Win8/8.1:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...w-faq#faq=tab1

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi Drew, the Windows Insider Program. According to Fred Langa you need that program prior to download win 10 trial into the Virtual Box. Anyway according to him you need a CPU that is Hardware Virtualization capable. Mine is not it is an old AMD FX 64 dual Core.Regards Peter
    Sorry, yes, you have to JOIN it (1st) but, I hadn't connected it to that when you said "download software 1st"

Yes, again, sorry. One must have a virtualization capable CPU for VMWare, VirtualBox or Hyper-V. I did realize, til now, your isn't. If you don't then, go the "Create VHD" route or dual-boot.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Windows 10OS.jpg

Thanks
    Drew
    One must have a virtualization capable CPU for VMWare, VirtualBox or Hyper-V.
    Just not true for VirtualBox at least and I think VMware as well unless W10 changes the game. The MS stuff seems to need it.
    https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch...tro-installing
    No hardware virtualization required. For many scenarios, VirtualBox does not require the processor features built into newer hardware like Intel VT-x or AMD-V. As opposed to many other virtualization solutions, you can therefore use VirtualBox even on older hardware where these features are not present. The technical details are explained in Section 10.3, “Hardware vs. software virtualization”.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Drew, Peter is on W-7 so a double click on the .iso will get the Windows burner going, this is what I did. Jean.

Peter ???

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    Drew

Just not true for VirtualBox at least and I think VMware as well unless W10 changes the game. The MS stuff seems to need it.
    https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch...tro-installing

Yes, excuse me, I did misspeak. One need capable CPU for Hyper-V in Windows 8.1

The consideration not applying to the other 2 products; nor to Microsoft VPC on Windows 7

Thank you for catching that & correcting.

Cheers,
    Drew