New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 64bit and Vista 32bit

Hi there, can anyone tell me if this would be okay. my hp laptop motherboard gave up the ghost recently and i thought i would get it repaired but it was going to get a bit pricey at my local pc repair shop (pc world). i decided instead to upgrade to a new 64bit win 7 machine, and it's very nice. all my personal stuff though is on my old laptop hard drive. i thought that if i used this 'Sandberg USB All-In-1 Hard Disk Link cable' it would show up as a new drive and i would be able to just drag across everything that i needed to my new machine but of course my old machine was 32bit and this new one is 64bit. it's just a few pics and documents with a few games thrown in. i also notice that the ms games have gone. would i be able to play them on the new system or not? nothings that easy i suppose.

Mikey B

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Using that HDD on the new computer will not be a problem, the 32-bit and 64-bit don't come into play. The formatting of the HDD also will not be a problem as Win7 can work with the older HDD whether formatted as FAT32 or NTFS. So do as I do, put the HDD in the case/adapter, plug it into the new computer and do what you need.

As for running programs such as games, you'll have to install them on the new computer as Windows-based program installations do a few things such as copy the program files to Folders, create the Start Menu items, copy support files as needed and create Registry entries so Windows knows how to run them. Some of the older 32-bit programs may not work on the new hardware. Win7 does have the games but Win8 is a different story, seems to have gone the way of Apple with their Store to get added 'stuff'.
    Last edited by Berton; 2014-10-17 at 05:29.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks very much Berton, that's all i needed to know.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    You're welcome, glad to help.