New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 Very Slow .... even on a brand new laptop ..... but......

Okay, everyone .... I am NEW to this Forum, but for a long time while I was a part of an IT Team at my Company, I used to habitate these Forums all the time and I KNOW they are very useful.

Here is the Situation:
    ..... For some time now, and follow me on this... I have noticed there seems to be something on the Internet that is causing extensive usage of all memory (bots?) and almost ALL of the CPU power... just for the more mundane tasks a PC will incur every other minute of usage.

So, I did a random test. My Work has deployed to me a IBM Lenovo with Windows 7 (originally it was just a 32-bit). It has an i5 CPU and 4Gb of RAM. This should work just fine. And, it did at first. Then it started to get slower & slower & slower. After awhile, when the troubles would start, I would just delete all cache, temp files, etc, and also do a DNS dump using a DOS screen... you know the drill. For a time, the Laptop would go back to it's original speed capability.... but then it would eventually get slower once again. Of course, it would depend on what usage I was involved in. Remember, it is a Work Laptop.

Now... the Customer I deal with for my Company, has also deployed a Laptop for usage on THEIR Network... which is very normal for a lot of Companies. Their Laptop is also Win7. But, it is a 64-bit, i5 CPU with 8GB of RAM. To me the Hard Drives for any PC...laptop or otherwise..these days....simply doesn't mean all that much... unless they are solid state. One can always partition the Boot Drive, so it doesn't take as long as say ... a 750Gb drive might demand. This Laptop also has the keyboard that lights up and that is a nice addition. Eventually, I will get one with this advantage for myself.

Yet,...even this HP customer-deployed Laptop is also seeing the exact SAME issues with slowing down in increments, then I have no choice but to reboot and hope it comes back to life as it once was when I first got it. At the initial deployment.. this HP just whizzed across the Internet. And, it is VERY reliable. It is an Elitebook/Ultrabook. The processor speed is currently 6.9 in calculations per second.

And, here is the (what I call) more troubling aspect.... and maybe... just maybe.... I'm not as looney as this may sound....
    When I first got the customer-deployed HP... I avoided using any Social media websites... and for about 3 weeks, I experienced NO slowdowns are latency issues on any level.
    THEN, I finally relented, and instead of waiting until I got home to use my own PC.. I went ahead and logged into FACEBOOK, during lunch one day, while still at the office.
    BY 3pm, that afternoon... I was suddenly experiencing a definitive slowdown "PC just won't respond" type situation.
    Now, I use all sorts of WORK programs, for what I do. I am a Wireless Implementation Engineer and AIRMAGNET is the Customer's preferred software for what they require us to do. Hence the reasoning for my Customer Laptop having eight (8) gigabyte of RAM.

BUT,,, when I assure myself of rebooting several times within a 12 hour period and NO usage of FB during that time frame.. the laptop seriously has NO issues running the Wireless Software. None at all...whatsoever. But, once I re-login to FB... BOOM...sudden and "very noticeable" latency issues arise immediately.

So... the question becomes.....
    1) Have others here noticed the same behaviors?
    2) Have you distinguished exactly what programs or social media sites are being used as a real test?
    3) Can it be possible that FACEBOOK is re-writing boot-loading programs & files, so the latency is inherent forevermore?

When you first login to Windows 7.. you sign in and there is a 2nd screen where you simply click on a OK button and then suddenly Windows regular screen pops up and you are ready to go. THIS was always a VERY FAST process back when I first received the HP Laptop. NOW, when I click that OK button... Windows just sits there doing something that I cannot see... and there is no indication as to why it doesn't just POP onto the usage screen... like it used to. But, it is OBVIOUS that something has happened to one of the OS files that are needed for normal boot processing to occur.
    Back in Win98 and Win2K days, we knew to copy the original DLL files, so if a software program re-wrote one of those, you could delete that program and replace the DLL with the original... and the virus or malware would be totally gone...as long as you also reviewed your Registry.

All I Know... is I believe I AM on the right track with suspecting FACEBOOK....

Opinions or Comments ...are certainly welcome (and needed). What program would I use to allow me to inspect these bootup files... Obviously, FB is grabbing more & more memory & CPU usage time, and even that social page will slow to a crawl requiring a reboot to regain access and freeing up whatever hold is on the hardware aspect. Then, I suspect that Websites are also being crowded with more background required BOTS.... so being able to define those... is probably a real necessity, too.

Advice, people.... Help me out here....
    I just bought a real nice 64-bit i5 processor with 4GB RAM Inspiron, for my GF... and it is also having the same "wait for it"... latency issues.... and it drives her batty... which I do not seriously need... since the damn thing IS BRAND NEW.

Let me hear from ya.....

Thanks
    Task Manager (ctrl+alt+del) tells you what's running, the resources being used and will allow you to terminate any that are unwanted or causing problems. Autoruns tells you what's' starting at boot and allows you to disable them.
    With any new PC or laptop, the first job is always to remove all the crapware the manufacturers have installed.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/s.../bb963902.aspx

http://pcdecrapifier.com/

Always check for bundled unwanted extras when downloading and installing any new software and be sure to decline them. Use custom install when it’s available.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Part of the problem is ... Windows 7 and the crappy drives that come with the new laptops. Windows 7 is much slower to boot than Windows 8. That aside, the critical component when booting up, provided you have enough RAM (and 4 GB is ok) is the disk. Most disks that come with laptops are 5200 rpm which is the slowest you can get.

Calimanco's advice is good and removing some stuff from the boot process will help, but with Windows 7 it will still be slow (and it would be slow with an i7 and 16 GB of RAM anyway). However if you really want fast boots, get an SSD. A 256 GB SSD goes for a bit more than $100 on Amazon. You will never look back.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I read that it should take a bare bones Win 7, 47 secs to boot up - mine takes about a minute.

You could be right about FB as it seems to be a common denominator, but on the older machine but run chkdsk without any parameters as an admin from the command prompt to see what that reports.

You seem to have two issues - boot up and browsing.

A Paragon Rescue Disk can correct MBR anomalies and other bits and resetting IE to defaults can resolve some browsing problems, but it's best to try a web site with another browser to see if it's the site or IE.

When my IE browsing gets a little slow I'll open Tools - Content and clear the SSL state.

Next would be to open a command prompt as an admin and enter -

netsh winsock reset catalog
    netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
    exit then reboot.

And a final one would be to reset the Hosts file, but as it's only after visiting FB you have problems, that should be okay.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree that FB can stack up pages on one tab and use a lot of resources that can cause significant slowdowns while in use, but I haven't seen any evidence that there can be lingering effects once it's closed off and gone.
    Laptops for the most part are inherently "weak link" devices because they try and can run everything the more powerful desktops can, but they are designed for mobility, not with huge reserves of heat-producing power.

I second the notion that the weak link in this case is probably the hard drive. I recently installed a program on a new mid-level HP laptop for an organization that couldn't make heads or tails of Windows 8. It has a 750 GB HD and just for giggles I installed the same program (from a disc) on a 2004 desktop with a 60 GB SATA 1 SSD. The 10 year old desktop won by a country mile even with a slower optical drive and slower 40 pin data cable (easily twice as fast)!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Part of the problem is ... Windows 7 and the crappy drives that come with the new laptops. Windows 7 is much slower to boot than Windows 8. That aside, the critical component when booting up, provided you have enough RAM (and 4 GB is ok) is the disk. Most disks that come with laptops are 5200 rpm which is the slowest you can get.

Calimanco's advice is good and removing some stuff from the boot process will help, but with Windows 7 it will still be slow (and it would be slow with an i7 and 16 GB of RAM anyway). However if you really want fast boots, get an SSD. A 256 GB SSD goes for a bit more than $100 on Amazon. You will never look back.

When I got my new computer in 2012 with an i3, 1.5TB HD, 4 Gigs of RAM, SP1, MS Office (full), AVG, CCleaner, and Malwarebytes, it booted up totally in 45 seconds. As time went by and I had to load the many monthly mult-megabyte
    updates, I noticed it getting slower booting up. I would guess that, in time, your Win 8 will suffer the same fate. But it would be great if it didn't. Wow, that would be progress!