Star Lounger
    Thanks

Backup, Imaging, RESTORE to NEW drive, what is best sequence to follow?

I would like to find, or help create, directions for recovering from a crash, in windows, whre a new drive needs inserted.
    Assumptions –
    You have an IMAGE backup of the main windows partition
    You have an IMAGE of the SYSTEM partition, which is possibly the first partition on the drive, about 100mb, holds boot information
    You have an image of the MBR

If your current drive crashes, and you insert a new drive, WHAT is to be restored to the NEW drive, and HOW to configure it, and what gets done to the BCDedit table?

REASON
    I recently had a SSD drive that deteriorated to 10% of its life. Luckily was able to do a backup immediately before the crash, of the drive
    (Windows c: partition, the system partition, and MBR, using Paragon Hard Drive suite 14, which SAVED MY HIDE)

I RESTORED all of the above to the new hard drive (MBR, System 100mg, and Windows c: partition)

Tried to reboot, sequence looked screwed up, etc, etc.

SO, I then erase the new drive, and then just restored the SYSTEM 100mb partition, and the Windows 150GB partition.

I then inserted to machine, and booted, and saw TWO partitions of Windows 7. Machine said “Select one”. I selected first one, it crashed, said nothing existed.

Then rebooted, tried the second one, and it worked.

Well, it turned out to be the BCDEDIT table, and had to learn how to rapidly edit that table.

FINALLY, this morning, got it booted to windows 7

BUT, would like some concise directions as to what to restore, and in what order

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    aoz,

Why are you imaging the partitions separately? I just image the entire drive then you just restore the whole drive to the new hardware and all is good to go. I use Macrium Reflect and it even lets me resize the partitions if the new drive is smaller ( like when I moved from HDD to SDD for my boot drive or recently when I moved from a 128 Gb SSD to a 256 GB SSD. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    sorry for the confusion
    I use paragon Hard Disk Suite, and I do back up the whole c: drive - this includes track 0, MBR, and the SYSTEM partiion of the 100 mb, and the main c: partition of 110 GB.
    I just named them in the first part to show what was coming across.

From my understanding, if the c: partition got corrupted, then indeed I would just restore all the included objects.

BUT, with a new drive, it seems that having the MBR part creates chaos on the drive, and I'm not sure exacly what parts of this back up package to RESTORE,
    AND, if after restoring, I have to some how edit the BCDEDIT table

Now, one quirk in all this was that c: was encrypted with Truecrypt, and the BACKUP IMAGE, etc, in the MBR, may contrain traces of truecrypt bootup stuff, and I did not know how to get rid of that stuff, etc.

MAIN THING IS I HAD A BACKUP, and PARAGON SAVED MY REAR END !
    but I want to make up directions to have streamlined restore for any future disaster

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Aoz,

I've used Macrium Reflect to restore to many different drives and almost always restore the whole physical drive vs individual partitions on that drive w/o problem. Within the past month I did this in moving from a 128Gb SSD to a 256Gb SSD and the only thing I had to do was resize C: to use all the space and re-validate my Windows installation with MS. If Paragon is messing up your MBR I'd look into using another program.

On occasion, usually after testing some new software, I've restored just the C: partition (I keep Data in a separate partition on a different physical drive) w/o problems also.
    HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    I keep images of C: on D: on the same drive, for a quickie restore if something gets messed up on my OS partition.
    But recently I got what I think was a boot sector virus, and my Backup/Restore program refused to write to that partition, to do a restore.

Yikes!

A clone of the main drive, while it was still working good, would have been the answer, but alas, I didn't have one.

So I wound up re-installing my OS to a new hard drive, migrating all my data from the old hard drive, then reformatting the old hard drive and cloning the new drive back to the old drive. Whew!!!! A lot of work and in the process I did loose a few files. Two weeks later, I'm still finding things that need re-installing.

So in conclusion. I now do Whole Drive Backups on a regular basis, and data backups daily, to a 32GB flash drive and a 1TB External HD.

"The only bad backup is the one you decided NOT to do."

Good Luck!

The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!