5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Just got a call from Microsoft Tech support....

...or so the obvious Indian accented person on the telephone told me (and it was breaking up too; sad they can't afford better phone line connections in India (or Pakistan; who really knows since the accent sounds the same to my ears). Microsoft needs to provide these folks better phone lines. lololol

Of course I hanged up; obviously a phishing play. Just wanted to vent.

Thanks
    I recently was at a friend's house. A "Microsoft" technician called her and said that she had lots of problems on her computer. She handed me the phone, and I asked him how he knew that there were problems on her computer. He said that he could see it on his computer. I told him that he was spying on her computer, and that there was no way that we would trust someone who spies on our computer. I also told him that I was glad that he was on the phone with me, because that kept him from scamming someone else.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    I recently was at a friend's house. A "Microsoft" technician called her and said that she had lots of problems on her computer. She handed me the phone, and I asked him how he knew that there were problems on her computer. He said that he could see it on his computer. I told him that he was spying on her computer, and that there was no way that we would trust someone who spies on our computer. I also told him that I was glad that he was on the phone with me, because that kept him from scamming someone else.
    You should have just thanked him and told him you knew and that is why it was in the repair shop

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    lol; good idea Sudo15. Did forget to add that it was an Indian (or Pakistani) woman.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I've had a few such calls lately and it's always been Windows Tech., never identifies as being with Microsoft. I tell them they are a scam and ask how that works on Macintosh and get an immediate hang-up.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lylejk View Post
    ...or so the obvious Indian accented person on the telephone told me...
    This "Windows Support" (or "Windows Technical Department") scam has been around for a few years now.

Not long after it started I was called in to help several customers who had been "sucked in".

They (the scammers) are after your credit card details. One customer (a used car dealer) lost about AU$20,000 (withdrawn somewhere in Northern India), another (a book-keeper) lost about AU$7,000.

Hence many banks have since introduced a limit on how much can be withdrawn each day (my limit is AU$1,000). But you can arrange with the bank to increase or decrease your limit to suit your needs.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I received same call yesterday. My first with this oldie. My response = "hello". I just kept repeating "hello" to every comment or question he asked. He seemed confused and kept going in circles. After about 10 "hellos', I gave up and hung up.
    Michael

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

BruceR (2014-10-25),Lief (2014-11-07)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My brother likes to play them along. When told to do something, he says 'ok, done that'. Was then asked if he could see anything to which he replied 'yes', he was then asked what he could see and said in a very excited voice, 'Micky Mouse, oh, I love Micky Mouse, thank you so much' and then put the phone down.

Thanks
    It has been several months now since I last was asked by a customer for help with problems resulting from their having been "sucked in" by this "Windows Support" (AKA "Windows Technical Department") scam. Maybe the scammers have realised that their fame has spread?

However, during the past three months I have had two calls from persons (both with Indian accents) who claimed to represent Telstra (Telstra is by far the largest ICT [see Information and communications technology] provider here in Australia). The spiel was "Telstra has selected you as one of our longest-standing 25 customers in Queensland to receive a very special deal on your telephone connection" and went on at length to the catch-line "go to your local post office and complete a Western Union form to transfer $n to (a deceased person at an address in WA on the opposite side of Australia). Yeah right!

It might be assumed that I am somehow a racist and am bigoted/biased against Indians/Pakistanis. Not guilty your honour.

During the early development of Australia camel teams, along with their drivers, were imported by the then PTB (Powers That BE) to provide necessary transport infrastructure, especially to remote settlements and cattle/sheep stations. Many of the camel drivers were from Afghanistan, but some were Indian/Pakistani or from some arab country. Quenseconlty :-) the camel drivers became known as "Afghans". Hence today the passenger train service between Sydney and Perth is named "The Ghan" AKA "The Afghan Express".

Later during Australia's development (1800's) many Chinese and South-Sea Islanders ("Kanaks") were brought in to work in mining and sugar industries. Even later the "Snowy Mountains Scheme" brought in many Swedish, Danish, and Norwegian, etc. immigrants to work on the various hydroelectric dams involved in that scheme, mostly in the Southern parts of New South Wales (the Murray/Murrumbidgee river systems).

After WW2 many people migrated to Australia from European countries, especially from Italy, Greece, Yugoslavia, Hungary, Spain, and Germany (in about that order). During my years in primary school in the 1950s most of my classmates were children of such European migrants. Later during my high school years again most of my classmates were children of immigrants from mostly European nations. Generally this wasn't a problem, however there was one student of German background who insisted that Germany had been wronged by Western allies after WW2 in regard to the "Marshall Plan" etc. In hindsight I think he might have been right.

Anyhow, the more recent accusations against Australia as being "a racist country" have mostly arisen from comments made by former Telstra CEO Ziggy Switkowski who was obliged to resign following public response to his policy of exporting support jobs overseas. Before this racist fellow took control of Telstra most support personnel were Australians. Soon after he took control most of the Australian support personnel were dismissed, and their jobs were "exported" mostly to Northern India or the Phillipines. After some time complaints against Telstra support led to the dismissal of Ziggy Switkowski as Telstra's CEO. One of his parting shots was that "Australia is a racist country". Really Ziggy, just what grounds do you have for labelling Australia as a "racist country"? Silence.

Reality is that Australians are no more "racist" than are residents of other similar Western countries. If you asked the same questions of people in the USA, the UK, or anywhere else expect to receive much the same response.
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Unless there have been some deleted posts what is the justification for posting what is basically a pointless rant?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Browni View Post
    Unless there have been some deleted posts what is the justification for posting what is basically a pointless rant?
    Sorry. Might not have made the point clear enough.

The main point is that thanks to Ziggy Switkowski Telstra users in Australia now have to put up with strong Indian/Pakistani/Phillipino accents when they access Telstra/Bigpond support.

Prior to the changes made by Ziggy Switkowski almost all the Telstra/Bigpond support personnel were Australians, so there were few communication problems.

Since the Ziggy Switkowski debacle almost all the support personnel are located in Northern India or the Phillipines. I can usually understand the Phillipinos, but many of the Indian personnel I have spoken with have been unintelligible.