Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts

Interesting Win 10 TP Features

Hey Y'all,

I thought I'd start a thread for interesting things we find in the TP.

Here's a starter. PowerShell which shows up on the left side of Start once used:
    Wintpsm1.PNG
    Notice it is below the Pinned line!

If you right-click and select Pin to Start it shows up on the left as an app.
    Wintpsm2.PNG

However, if you UnPin if and then click & drag it above the pin line it will stay there!
    Wintpsm3.PNG

Very Interesting!

May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Yep, yep. Darn fine what one can do w/ that start menu. And then, one can take things from either the context menu or the Tile menu & pin them to the Taskbar And then, remove the Tile if one wants. Myself I took all the Tiles away... kind of unneeded & now my start menu is smaller, narrower

And, I, think the Multiple Desktops thing is damn cool & useful... @ least, I can & do make, really, good use of it.

Multiple Desktops.png

Cheers,
    Drew
    Windows 10OS.jpg

PS: BTW, the 'picture' about multiple desktops... I was able to grab a snipet of a web site page, the photo & the text, save it to my drive as an image then insert it here, all done w/ OneNote on Win 10. OneNote is a, REALLY, handy tool for lots of things!!
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2014-10-18 at 05:04.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Drew, good morn.
    Nice desktop, hey ! it looks like mine. I have not experimented with many desktops yet, it is coming. My Start menu is all on my taskbar, it all looks really like my W-7 or again like my W-8. Can not teach this old dog new tricks, I some times have to stop and ask myself am I on 7 or 8 or 10 here ? 23 icons on my taskbar.

TP has, for me, one drawback, it will not properly run my PF2000. At first, W-7 and again W-8 were like that but eventually when the RM came out, that was fixed. I installed Streets 2004, Larousse, Teamviewer, Wordweb, Earth, Paintshop 6 and Acrobat 5.0 yesterday, all these old apps run fine.

In spite of all this, it is still quite snappy. Can you change the Control Panel to give other than the default screen the "Category" and have it stay ?

No Media Player ? No Media Center ?

Have a great weekend. Jean.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    What's an RM?

Bruce

Thanks
    I think she means Release for Manufacturing
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Oh, RTM.

(But I think she's a he.)

Banned Member
    Thanks
    'wavy',

Yes, Jean is a man. And, although he obviously meant to say RTM, unless one has a MSDN subscription or some other eligibility to RTM, the reference should, actually, be to GA. But, I reckon Jean was just meaning 'final release'.

Another thing, about having the Auto Hide Taskbar appear easily & quickly... it does better if hit somewhere along its length rather than right @ the left corner or end.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jean,

I have found a way to have the All Control Panel Items permanently on Start.

Rt Clk on the Taskbar > Toolbars > Desktop Toolbar ( don't have to keep this after this exercise)
    The Desktop Toolbar opens showing 2 Control Panel listings. One has an expand arrow. Go there & on the resultant menu is, @ the top of the list "All Control Panel Items". Rt Clk that & select "Pin to Start". Done Now you have what you wanted. And, now, you can drop the Desktop Toolbar if you want. This will only put a Tile on the start menu, no context listing. But, it can, from there, be Pinned to the Taskbar. Then, the Tile can be removed... maybe, you are like me & don't want or keep Tiles on the start menu.

Also, I keep GOD Mode pinned to the Taskbar. Can have that instead or as well as All Control Panel Items.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Windows 10OS.jpg
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2014-10-18 at 16:49.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Drew1903 For This Useful Post:

handcuff36 (2014-10-19)

Thanks
    ooppss sorry Mr. Jean some how I thought Gene was the masculine spelling , now I notice you are a Northern neighbor
    Drew
    I'll try that but I will still grumble
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Good evening, Drew.
    Hey, I did it, all items is now an icon on my task bar. Thanks.
    I had to find another way as opposed to what you were showing me, the two Control Panel listings were not there ( ??? ). But I am up to snuff on this and only needed a push to get it to show. In W-8, I also had trouble in getting All items to be saved and default to it when clicking on the icon on my Desktop. I hope that the GA ( ? ) is also going to be that easy.
    Have a great evening and again thanks. Jean.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Yes, I had/have it in Windows 8.1 because I use the Desktop Toolbar which has a CP the gives that view.

That & having an All Applications folder on my Taskbar is how I access everything w/out leaving Desktop & w/out Tiles.

I, still, go w/out Tiles w/ Win10. Now, w/ the start menu can go w/out the Desktop Toolbar.

Cheers,
    Drew

Yes, 'wavy', you did the 2+2=4 thing. Jean is the name in French that is John in English.
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2014-10-19 at 22:15.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post

Yes, 'wavy', you did the 2+2=4 thing. Jean is the name in French that is John in English.
    And is pronounced as the Irish Sean (approximately like Shawn but with a harder sh sound). The name John is common in many languages - Jean, Sean, Ian, Iain, Jan. You may add others!

And to keep it on topic - I've managed to install Win 10 via the Oracle SW. It appears to be set up very much like I've got my 8.1 set up. I have found it a bit slow, but I haven't used it much yet (too many other things getting in the way).
    Last edited by access-mdb; 2014-10-21 at 05:33. Reason: Adding a bit to keep it on topic

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Good morning, mdb. Thanks for the clarification on my name and gender.
    I find TP quite snappy, I have it on an old Thinkcenter that was a residual machine from a bank, $35.00 Cdn, it has a Pentium Duo core at 2.6 MHz. Really quick on the draw. Cable connected on RJ-41. The screens will flash so fast that at times I have to double take on the screen to see that it has actually flipped. I had a few teething problems but now, I have it set to "look-alike" to Win-8. I do not use tiles at all, all my desired start apps at on the task bar, 23 of the most used apps here. My only missing app is my old HP Laserjet 6L, I had it going for a while but changed one thing and now, I can not get it installed. YMMV ! Have a great day.