Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

How to Remove Firefox 33.0 plugin "OpenH264 Video Codec...?

I have upgraded to Firefox 33.0. In the Plugins there is this plugin "OpenH264 Video Codec Provided by Cisci systems, inc. 1.1" showing. There is a bar above it that says it will install later, but never does install.
    I would like to remove this plugin. I can use the tab to disable it, but I would like for it to be gone....How do I do it?
    Thank you for any help to do this.
    GiddyUpGo "Don't look back. That is not the direction you are going!"

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I upgraded my FF to v33.0 and Norton told me OpenH264 was safe, so I assumed it installed as I don't have any bar or it showing on the home page to disable it.

It isn't listed in FF's Plug-ins in the registry so I can only assume that it is part of FF, but don't know why Norton should have needed to check it out.

I think the only way you could actually get rid of it would be to revert to the older FF version - unless someone has a better idea.

It doesn't affect me as I only have FF installed as secondary browser and use IE 10 as my main one.

Thanks
    Sudo15, does it show up under Tools/Add-ons/Plugins as a plugin? This is where it shows up on my computer, showing "waiting to install error tab" on top of the plugin name.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Is this related? -- I updated to FF 33.0, also updated Shockwave Flash to 15.0.0.189, and suddenly Add-ons contain this unexpected unknown unrequested OpenH264 Video Codec by Cisco Systems, Inc. 1.1. Now I'm unable to get videos that are apparently embedded in webpages -- there's just a big blank space where it seems the video would be. I'm mystified. This seems to be the case whether I leave this plug-in's option as "Always Activate" or switch it to "Never Activate" (= disabled) -- there seems to be no intermediate option (i.e., "Ask to Activate"). I don't know if either of these updates is what caused the problem or not. ?? (PC is HP ProBook 4540s, 64-bit, with Win7 Professional, SP 1). Also, do I need this codec? Mozilla describes it as open source BSD, thus supposedly a useful advantage -- but I don't know if I need to configure it somehow, or if so, how to do that.
    -- Any help much appreciated.
    Last edited by KatMuse; 2014-10-18 at 04:47. Reason: adding a line

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GiddyUpGo View Post
    Sudo15, does it show up under Tools/Add-ons/Plugins as a plugin? This is where it shows up on my computer, showing "waiting to install error tab" on top of the plugin name.
    It is in Add-ons - I think I went straight to check if the add-ons were showing as up to date after updating Flash Player where this isn't displayed as an add-on and it still isn't showing in the registry/Mozilla Plug-ins or Program Files (x86).

Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Calimanco View Post
    -- Calimanco: I skimmed thru the explanation thread you recommended, discussion Oct. thru Dec. 2013 -- and I also read Mozilla's blog post about the codec -- but I'm still confused, and still wonder if that's what's causing the blank spaces instead of embedded and clickable videos on websites I visit now, all of a sudden? Or would it be something else in FF 33.0, or something else related to the Flash update to v 15.0.0.189, or something else entirely? (I'm not familiar enough with developer-speak and developer details to be able to relate what I've read there to what's appeared in my Add-ons (and what's disappeared on websites I'm visiting now via links from other websites and pages).
    The plug-in does appear in my FF Add-ons. I don't feel competent to mess w/ the registry, tho, don't wanna risk it. Any advice? Any harm if I simply uninstall H264 codec? Is it even possible to uninstall?

Thanks
    I've had none of the problems with H264 that you enumerate, so probably its not directly related. Go to Tools>Add ons>Plugins and click on "Check to see if your plug ins are up to date". Look at your installed plug ins and extensions. Are there any there that shouldn't be? The latest Flash is 15.0.0.189 and there is a JAVA update to SE8 U25 11.25.2.18.

Thanks
    I have always been able to remove plugins from the FF plugins, but this is different.
    I have tried everything I can find but this plugin is not even listed anywhere I have found except showing up in the FF plugins, and then showing "Waiting to Install" message, which never changes.
    That is my problem...I still would like to remove the message and this plugin.
    Anyone know how?
    KatMsu, try going back to the FF 32 version just to see if this will let you view your videos. This plugin is installed when you update FF to V33.0.

Thanks
    Some web sites say OpenH264 Video Codec Ads is a PUP
    However some of those sites maybe questionable.

does it look like thisopenh264-video-codec.jpg

fromhttp://www.ghacks.net/2014/07/18/fir...e-development/

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to wavy For This Useful Post:

GiddyUpGo (2014-10-18)

Thanks
    I too noticed this OpenH264 Video Codec after Firefox updated. I let it enable itself and found that my browsing experience and browsers were load slow or just froze. I then disabled it and everything is back to normal. So, for me I'll just leave it disabled.

Thanks
    Wavy thank you!
    This is the Image I have on my computer.

Thanks
    Ok guys, I have found a way to remove this plugin from the FF Plugins. Atlease it no longer shows up in the tools/add-ons/plugins.
    Open About:config
    Search for 264
    Toggle
    media.peerconnection.video.h264_enabled
    from true to false.

Thanks to the "http://www.ghacks.net/2014/07/18/fir...e-development/" article that Wavy sent me.
    The article stated that this had to be toggled to true to show.....Well... toggle to false will hide it!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Calimanco View Post
    I've had none of the problems with H264 that you enumerate, so probably its not directly related. Go to Tools>Add ons>Plugins and click on "Check to see if your plug ins are up to date". Look at your installed plug ins and extensions. Are there any there that shouldn't be? The latest Flash is 15.0.0.189 and there is a JAVA update to SE8 U25 11.25.2.18.
    Thanks Calimanco -- I did check, plug-ins & extensions all register as up to date, including that latest Flash (...189) which I had just updated along w/ FF 33.0 -- I thought the Flash update might also be a possible culprit re my problem if not this unwanted H264 (a PUP or Actual UP?!). I have Java disabled (via QuickJava 2.0.4 Add-on extension), on advice from a year or so ago when Java was reported to be unstable or risky. (Javascript is enabled.)
    I do have AdBlock Plus, up to date, but that shouldn't cause my problem now since nothing on that is different from before.
    Couldn't find enough info on Mozilla pages to understand if I really need H264 or not. Will try reverting to previous FF version per suggestion from GiddyUpGo and see if that makes a difference.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GiddyUpGo View Post
    Ok guys, I have found a way to remove this plugin from the FF Plugins. Atlease it no longer shows up in the tools/add-ons/plugins.
    Open About:config
    Search for 264
    Toggle
    media.peerconnection.video.h264_enabled
    from true to false.

Thanks to the "http://www.ghacks.net/2014/07/18/fir...e-development/" article that Wavy sent me.
    The article stated that this had to be toggled to true to show.....Well... toggle to false will hide it!
    Thanks to Wavy, GiddyUpGo, & bassfisher6522.
    Wavy -- Your screenshot looked llike what I have except w/o the yellow "will be installed shortly," so I guess it was indeed installed.
    bassfisher6522 -- I did set it to "Never Activate" before, which disabled the plug-in, but my problem persisted of blank space where video should be embedded on websites.
    GiddyUG -- Will try toggling H264 to "false" before trying to go back to FF 32.x to see if it makes a difference in my own problem. I would still like to uninstall it, tho, if it's not a necessary add-on for anything I do.
    Anyone know if Mozilla put this on FF 33.0 because it *is* somehow necessary for everyone using this FF version now?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast