Star Lounger
    Thanks

Creating Multiple System Images With 64 Bit WIN 7 PRO

Hello Everyone -

I gave Google a shot on this, but then thought best to take it directly to the Experts. My question relates to using the WIN 7 Disk Imaging utility. I think Fred addressed this subject in an article awhile back, but I can't find it. I've been using Acronis True Image in the past on my computer, so I have lost touch with Windows' own program.

My intent was to create multiple C Drive/System images on an external hard drive: one based upon a fresh install of 64 Bit WIN 7 PRO, a second that would include all of the "serious" software installed, then subsequent images on about a monthly basis that would be alternately deleted, but always retaining the original two.

I made the first two images, but when I checked the WindowsImageBackup folder on the external hard drive, I found that the 2nd image had overwritten the first. I found a reference that said you have to rename the backup folder to something else in order to make the described plan work, but I don't think even Microsoft would come up with a design plan that foolish. At this point, it looks like I have lost the original image. Any help in fulfilling this desired objective would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Casey H.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    When creating the system image, you must have missed the bit that tells you an existing image will be overwritten.

I create monthly Windows system images onto an external HDD and make sure everything is AOK before doing so - I think your best bet would be to redo your fresh install and when you have all of your drivers, put it onto an USB Flash and then just create the images as you are doing onto the external HDD.

I had read a suggestion of putting each image into a dated folder but I'm not sure how Windows would see that when it came to making your choice of restore, as I have to boot up with the Advanced mode (F8) then navigate to the Recovery Environment to select the "one I made earlier" option where it lists the volumes - I have system images for 4 laptops so have to be careful when making my selection as initially it only gives for the most recent one created.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks--that sounds like good advice. I didn't miss the overwrite dialogue though; I was just under the impression that overwriting would take place only if there wasn't enough room to make more images. I'm probably good with the image I have. There's not really all that much software installed. Do you suppose I can just copy the backup folder on the external hard drive to a flash drive, or would it be best to create a fresh image to the flash drive? Thanks again.

Casey H.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I'd probably just create a fresh one onto the Flash so that nothing "got lost in translation" as you want to be sure that your last gasp image is sound.

With using a laptop I always include the D: Recovery partition so each image is a full image of what is on the computer including up to date Windows Updates.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Interestingly enough, I just checked my own external hard drive files, and in the WindowsImageBackup folder, there were three subfolders containing separate images. I had made them long ago and have forgotten how I did it. As previously mentioned, I've been using Acronis for quite some time, so my memory of using Windows to accomplish the task is foggy. I don't recall seeing any settings that differentiates from making as many images as the disk will hold to I want to erase the old one while creating the new. I'm confused.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I only have single entries for each of the computer usernames so it must have been something you had physically created.

You could go through the motions of restoring with a system image and see the choices of image Windows sees for you to choose an image.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your input Sudo15. I went through the restore motions and there was only the one image available. I'll just have to be happy with the way things are and go to some kind of plan B. Perhaps my Acronis license is good for more than one computer.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    As you create more and you need to restore with the image, when you select it, it will show image options for the previous dates but as they have been overwritten, they won't be available to use - at least I haven't tried selecting any of them when I've needed to restore.