Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    North carolina
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Windows Technical Preview (Win 10) - VirtualBox, or dual-boot?

    Hello.

    Following Woody's recommendation last week to try Windows Technical Preview (Win 10), I went ahead and installed it in a dual-boot setup with Win 7.

    So far, the only notable problem I've had is that after installing and using Hotspot Shield in Win 10, I couldn't get online with 3 different browsers in Win 7. Luckily, after a little fiddling with Internet Options in the Control Panel (I didn't know what I was doing - just tried some educated(?) guesses) everything was right again.

    That glitch made me just a little bit nervous, so after Fred said yesterday that running Win 10 in a Virtual PC (VirtualBox) "presents essentially no risk to your primary (host) system", I'm wondering whether it's safer to run it a multi-boot setup, or in VirtualBox.

    All suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Banned Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    2,522
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 170 Times in 142 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by musiuuu View Post
    Hello.

    Following Woody's recommendation last week to try Windows Technical Preview (Win 10), I went ahead and installed it in a dual-boot setup with Win 7.

    So far, the only notable problem I've had is that after installing and using Hotspot Shield in Win 10, I couldn't get online with 3 different browsers in Win 7. Luckily, after a little fiddling with Internet Options in the Control Panel (I didn't know what I was doing - just tried some educated(?) guesses) everything was right again.

    That glitch made me just a little bit nervous, so after Fred said yesterday that running Win 10 in a Virtual PC (VirtualBox) "presents essentially no risk to your primary (host) system", I'm wondering whether it's safer to run it a multi-boot setup, or in VirtualBox.

    All suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Frankly, it doesn't matter. It's almost 6 of one & 1/2 dozen of the other. Whether a VM using Microsoft VPC or a dual-boot it is, still, completely separated from the Win7. That Fred fellow is correct, though, a VM presents NO risk. I just always prefer a VM cus it's, actually, not real... it 'thinks' it's using the Host machine's hardware but, it isn't, actually. And VMs are so easy to build, rebuild, change or remove. When I beta tested Vista & 7 for Microsoft I did a lot of the work dual & triple booting. And some when I beta tested Win8. But, mostly, in any recent times would do any serious lab or research work using Microsoft VPC on Windows 7 & build VMs and now only run VMs on Hyper-V w/ Windows 8.1.

    Not sure why that fellow is pushing VirtualBox. I tried it a bit for a while but much preferred Microsoft VPC.

    I'm running x64 Windows 10 TP as a VM in Hyper-V on Win8.1, right now (even as I write this). You, still, have everything as a VM... sound, print, et al. Only thing it does see my webcam/mic but that's no biggie, of course... just go to the Host if & when want the use of those.

    Cheers,
    Drew
    thR0V6M5GG2.jpgWindows 10OS.jpg
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2014-10-18 at 03:51.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Drew1903 For This Useful Post:

    musiuuu (2014-10-20)

  4. #3
    Super Moderator jwitalka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    6,794
    Thanks
    117
    Thanked 799 Times in 720 Posts
    If you go the dual boot route, the safest option is to use a separate disk as opposed to a separate partition on the same disk for Windows 10.

    Jerry

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

    musiuuu (2014-10-20)

  6. #4
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    North carolina
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have it on a separate partition, so I'll probably switch to a VPC for now and see how that goes. I hadn't thought at all about a new hard drive, being still in the mind frame that if 1TB is great, then the 2TB I have must be fantastic - not, because I use it also as a PVR and one of the partitions is nearly full from a lot of unwatched TV shows. Guess I've got to get a new drive anyway, to be safe. Thanks, Jerry.

  7. #5
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    North carolina
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    My only experience with virtual machines was with VMWare on Vista to run an excellent PC Tutorial Suite from way back in the in 95/98 era. The suite ran well, but I wasn't so impressed by the general layout in VMWare. As for Fred (Langa), he recommended VirtualBox because it's "free, ... highly capable and relatively easy to set up." Been following him long before he merged with Windows Secrets and became one of the Senior Editors.
    Frankly, it never occured to me to run different OSes on virtual machines because I've been pretty comfortable with multi-booting. In any case, seeing that you prefer Hyper-V, I'll try them both and see which I like. Thanks, Drew.

  8. #6
    Banned Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    2,522
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 170 Times in 142 Posts
    You're welcome. Yes, VirtualBox is free and so is Hyper-V. All I know is I have used both & prefer Hyper-V. My experience w/ VirtualBox , as I recall, was fraught w/ challenges & frustration. I can , also, empathise w/ you not being enamoured w/ VMWare.

    Good luck. Look forward to hearing more from you in the near future about this.

    Cheers,
    Drew

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Drew1903 For This Useful Post:

    musiuuu (2014-10-20)

  10. #7
    Banned Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    2,522
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 170 Times in 142 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by musiuuu View Post
    I have it on a separate partition, so I'll probably switch to a VPC for now and see how that goes. I hadn't thought at all about a new hard drive, being still in the mind frame that if 1TB is great, then the 2TB I have must be fantastic - not, because I use it also as a PVR and one of the partitions is nearly full from a lot of unwatched TV shows. Guess I've got to get a new drive anyway, to be safe. Thanks, Jerry.
    Or go virtual, Jerry. Just a thought...

    It's all the rage these days, I hear.

    Cheers,
    Drew

  11. #8
    WS Lounge VIP Browni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Rochdale, UK
    Posts
    1,651
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked 161 Times in 139 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    Or go virtual, Jerry. Just a thought...

    It's all the rage these days, I hear.

    Cheers,
    Drew
    I have it installed in a virtual hard drive (VHD) Does that count

  12. #9
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    North carolina
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hey, Drew.
    Where do you get Hyper-V? I see it comes with Win 8, but I only have Win 7; when I click on "Hyper-V" in the search results it takes me to Windows Server 2012 R2. It seems that Hyper-V is a part of it, but the whole thing is on a 180-day trial. I did find a separate MS Virtual PC which I downloaded.

  13. #10
    Banned Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    2,522
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 170 Times in 142 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Browni View Post
    I have it installed in a virtual hard drive (VHD) Does that count
    Yep, it'll qualify

  14. #11
    Banned Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    2,522
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 170 Times in 142 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by musiuuu View Post
    Hey, Drew.
    Where do you get Hyper-V? I see it comes with Win 8, but I only have Win 7; when I click on "Hyper-V" in the search results it takes me to Windows Server 2012 R2. It seems that Hyper-V is a part of it, but the whole thing is on a 180-day trial. I did find a separate MS Virtual PC which I downloaded.
    On Win 7 for virtualization you DO use Microsoft VPC. Hyper-V only is for, @ least, Windows 8.x & Sever 2012 R2. It's it, that's all. No Hyper-V for Win7 only, MS VPC. & does not support Hyper-V. You have to install MS VPC w/ Windows 7. You don't need to install anything w/ Windows 8 or Windows 10 because Hyper-V is embedded w/ them (and sever 2012 R2. It was not the case w/ Sever 2003 which 2012 is about to replace.

    Ergo, w/ Win7 to go virtual, there are 2 choices MS VPC or the VHD route. Using MS VPC is the less complex route. You downloaded VPC... use it.

    Creating a VHD

    Another on the same thing

    Creating a VHD

    Cheers,
    Drew
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2014-10-20 at 08:09.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Drew1903 For This Useful Post:

    musiuuu (2014-10-20)

  16. #12
    WS Lounge VIP Browni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Rochdale, UK
    Posts
    1,651
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked 161 Times in 139 Posts
    If I may, I'll link back to my thread on installing W10

    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...ws-10-to-a-VHD

    It takes a rather different approach.

    It creates a dual boot environment with Windows 10 living in a VHD. No need for any disk partitioning and no need for any extra software.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Browni For This Useful Post:

    musiuuu (2014-10-21)

  18. #13
    WS Lounge VIP Coochin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    2,154
    Thanks
    31
    Thanked 307 Times in 267 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    If you go the dual boot route, the safest option is to use a separate disk as opposed to a separate partition on the same disk for Windows 10.

    Jerry
    If you decide to go for dual-boot be aware there is an issue which I encountered if you have other OS partitions on the same physical drive, whether HDD or SSD.

    See Win7/Win10 TP NTFS woes
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

    musiuuu (2014-10-21)

  20. #14
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    North carolina
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks for the heads up. Nevertheless, I've been multi-booting Win 7, Win 10, and Linux Zorin from one hard drive for just about a week, without major problems - just a little Hotspot Shield problem as mentioned at the start.
    The computer booted up into ChkDsk a couple times, but I suspect it's related to my hitting the re-set button after the wireless mouse freezes in Zorin - I think it's a hardware conflict issue with Linux not handling how the MS wireless keyboard and mouse share one receiver (the mouse generally freezes after keyboard input). Anyway, that mouse freeze issue dates back to before I had Win 10 installed, but other than that everything's running smoothly. Just in case, though, I'll see if I can get a good deal on a separate HDD, or SSD during the Black Friday sales.
    And I'll look at trying BootItBM; been using EasyBCD for a couple years - it even has an option to restore the Windows MBR when I want to revert to single boot. Thanks.

  21. #15
    Silver Lounger
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Forever West
    Posts
    2,072
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 259 Times in 248 Posts
    just a little Hotspot Shield problem
    I just cleaned up a Win7 Notebook Monday that had over 6000 various infections, Hotspot Shield, Mindspark, Ask.com, Anchornet.com and Conduit just to name a few. The elderly lady couldn't recall what all she did that nailed her.
    Last edited by Berton; 2014-10-21 at 23:20.

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

    musiuuu (2014-10-22)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •