Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can't get rid of PUPs

I am running the Premium version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Every time I scan with it it finds one or another of the following PUP's:

Here are the types of listings Malwarebytes keeps finding on my computer:

PUP.Optional.Astromenda.A
    PUP.Optional.PassShow.A
    PUP.Optional.InstallCore.A

I can run one scan after another and it always finds one of the above PUP's even after all the previous finds have been quarantined!

Anyone have an idea what's going on here?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

3. The Following User Says Thank You to thomasjk For This Useful Post:

lodidad1 (2014-10-21)

Thanks

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

lodidad1 (2014-10-21)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The recently released new version of Malwarebytes is very good at removing PUPs. The previous version found them but didn't remove them.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lodidad1 View Post
    ...Anyone have an idea what's going on here?
    Could go into some detail but don't wan't to confuse you.

Seems to me you need to seek help from a competent source, such as http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ as from what you describe it seems likely you have a "rootkit" virus on your system.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I had a couple of PUP's that kept re-appearing, but the new version of malware bytes seems to have killed them. I scan weekly.

rstew

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    To: thomasjk & jwitalka

The links you provided helped me rid my computer of all the PUP's. I also downloaded and ran Adwcleaner but it also removed my setup with RoboForm. I guess I might have been able to avoid that in the beginning by being more specific with what I wanted to remove. I also have the most recent version of Malwarewbytes which now intercepts the PUP's and gives me the option of quarantining them. Any way, it now looks like the problem has been solved. Thank all of you who responded!

Thanks
    Glad to hear you got rid of your PUPs. I also use RoboForm and have run AdwCleaner without any issues.

Jerry

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Glad to hear you solved the problem.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey, Jerry

I downloaded the latest version of AdwCleaner and ran it again. This time there were no issues with RoboForm. Maybe the problem was with the older version or maybe I did something I shouldn't have. Anyway, thanks for your comment.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    A comment on Astromenda, I tried a reinstall of Windows Live Mail today and got a panel offering to install Astromenda, immediately got out of that. It became obvious the download carried baggage even though the site used was usually reliable.

Thanks
    It's not only advisable but CRITICAL, that when you're downloading and installing anything, that you carefully read every word of every line of every little window that pops up on your screen. It's now common place that they are including some form of Spyware or PUP along with the program that you're trying to acquire. There is usually some way to Opt-Out, if you just read carefully, and you finally get down to the program you wanted in the first place.

Way too many people just click NEXT, NEXT, NEXT and so on, without ever reading anything and then they wind up with a HD full of total CRAPOLA.
    Chrome is a prime example! I find it on many of my customer's PC's and they have no idea what it is or where it came from, but just want it GONE!
    I happily oblige.

Several very good programs have been mentioned here, for removing spyware, etc., but never a mention of a real security loophole called "Tracking Cookies".

They can range from benign to serious security Holes.

One very good program for getting rid of both PUPs and Tracking Cookies, that I use myself, and share with my customers is:
    "Super Anti-Spyware, FREE". The program is Very Good, and FREE is even better.

Stay safe!

The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You're so right. I could make a living removing the stuff, probably just on son-in-laws' computers alone. I understand the way it works with "free downloads". They aren't in the business of simply creating programs to give them away without strings attached. You should be expected to be "offered" additional programs. But my (and everyone else's) problem is how sneaky & tricky they are about it. You know, the pre-checked options, like the free trial of a paid version(which will stop working if not paid for), the grayed out "decline", the "recommended" additions, plus the occasional pre-checked item that you won't see unless you scroll down. So yeah, look it over carefully. The saying "there's no such thing as a free lunch" sure applies to free downloads - more than ever.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
    ...One very good program for getting rid of both PUPs and Tracking Cookies, that I use myself, and share with my customers is:
    "Super Anti-Spyware, FREE". The program is Very Good, and FREE is even better...:
    Actually when I tested SAS against "SpyBot" and "Malwarebytes" (and some other anti-spyware/antimalware programs) SAS came off second-best. From my tests "SpyBot", "Malwarebytes", and "AVG Free" work very well together (no conflicts, and max. detection of exploits).
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    A comment on Astromenda, I tried a reinstall of Windows Live Mail today and got a panel offering to install Astromenda, immediately got out of that. It became obvious the download carried baggage even though the site used was usually reliable.
    In Clark Howard's Technology section, somebody suggested Unchecky. I downloaded, installed, and have been using Unchecky for a few weeks now. Unchecky removes all checkmarks, except for the desired install, for you. I still look at each "opportunity popup" - to make sure nothing new gets past Unchecky.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast