New Lounger
    Thanks

Win 10 64 preview

I've done everything in your article and I keep getting no available boot file found. I tried using a DVD of the ISO and still not recognized. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I need advice. I downloaded it several times using several different browsers and still no luck.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    The simplest way to get it going is to two-click on the .iso file. This implies doing it from a working OS, either 7 or 8. The Windows Disk Burner will do its thing. Then choose the bottom of the two offers, "full install". This will wipe out your HD, do a clone first. With a clone you can go back to your previous opus operandi exactly. Jean.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Do not replace your current working OS w/ the Windows 10 betas! Dual-boot, VHD, spare box, on a USB or VM, only. And if dual-boot on a physically separate drive not, a partition.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Windows 10OS.jpg

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Drew,
    why do you say it should be installed on a separate hd and not a separate partition. in a dual boot environment both os's are separate according to what I've read in the past.
    my install is on a separate partition on the same disk and I have not had any problems.
    my second hd is reserved for personal files and I am not willing to take a chance on that drive being corrupted by a failure of 10 or 8.1.

Rich
    ‎5000 years ago, Moses said 2 Israel, "Pick up your shovels, mount your asses & camels, & I will lead you 2 the Promised Land." When Welfare was introduced, Roosevelt said, "Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, & light up a Camel, this is the Promised Land." Now the government has stolen your shovel, taxed your asses, raised the price of Camels & mortgaged the Promised Land to China

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rlfvt View Post
    Drew,
    why do you say it should be installed on a separate hd and not a separate partition. in a dual boot environment both os's are separate according to what I've read in the past.
    my install is on a separate partition on the same disk and I have not had any problems.
    my second hd is reserved for personal files and I am not willing to take a chance on that drive being corrupted by a failure of 10 or 8.1.

Rich
    Rich,

It is ok to use a partition and, yes, in that sense, the separation is there. It is just better or best (if it can be) using a physically separate & distinct drive, be it HDD or SSD.

Whichever or whatever works ok or is possible, in terms of hardware available & drive structure & content, of course.

Cheers,
    Drew

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    ...the separation is there...
    It seems this is no longer necessarily true concerning dual-booting between Win10/Win8-8.1 & Win7/Vista.

See thread Win7/Win10 TP NTFS woes
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.