Thanks

Win7/Win10 TP NTFS woes

480GB Kingston SSD with 1 "BootItBM" (boot manager, see http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/) primary partition (<> 8MB FAT) and 3 OS primary partitions: Win7 32bit, Win7 64bit, and Win10 Technical Preview.

I boot between the various OSs using BootItBM, and have 3 other PCs w/ XP, Vista, and Win7 OSs also using BootItBM as boot manager, which I use mainly for working on customers' HDDs.

Have been using BootIt (was renamed from BootItNG [BootIt Next Generation] to BootItBM [BootIt Bare Metal] a couple of years ago) since early 2007 w/o problems, so I really doubt if BootIt is causing the problem detailed below.

Yesterday I downloaded the Win10 Tech. Preview 64bit ISO, created a Win10 install DVD from the ISO (Nero), and installed Win10 to a spare 200GB SATA HDD (after disconnecting the SSD and my 2TB data HDD, i.e. the 200GB HDD was the only disk drive connected during install of Win10).

Win10 install completed very quickly, but after it completed and booted to the desktop in a low-resolution there was about 15min delay when the Start button was unresponsive; apparently this delay was due to Win10 installing the VGA driver (ATI-AMD HD6700). After the delay Win10 became very responsive and performance was very good.

I then changed some settings and copied some files from a USB thumbdrive, then installed several programs. By this time it was bed-time, so I resumed operations this morning.

This morning I deleted the 3rd OS partition from the SSD, then copied the Win10 OS partition from the 200GB SATA HDD to the SSD (adjusted the partition's size to suit, of course), then disconnected the 200GB HDD, then booted from the SSD to the Win7 64bit OS (w/ the 2TB HDD connected as before any of these recent changes). Everything seemed OK, so I rebooted to the Win10 OS which is when it all went pear-shaped; Win10 ran chkdsk on both the Win7 partitions on the SSD and the "DATA" and "BACKUP" partitions on the 2TB SATA HDD. Eventually Win10 started to the desktop and seemed happy.

After a few minutes I re-booted to the Win7 64bit OS, which also ran chkdsk on its partition and the Win10 partition. I then attempted to reboot to the Win10 OS but it flashed a "Windows has encountered a problem..." message briefly then restarted. I tried to boot Win10 again w/ the same error message/restart result.

As I did not want to take any more risks w/ the other 2 Win7 OS partitions on the SSD I decided to replace the Win10 partition on the SSD with the previous Win7 32bit partition (only used for games, which I seldom do anymore), after copying the Win10 partition back to the 200GB SATA HDD. With the SSD, the 2TB HDD, and the 200GB HDD connected I rebooted, made the necessary configuration changes in BootItBM, and booted to the Win7 64bit OS partition. After chkdsk completed and it started-up to the desktop I rebooted to the Win10 OS on the 200GB HDD w/o chkdsk running - it went straight to the desktop (although slowly compared to the SSD). I then rebooted to both the Win7 32bit and 64bit OS partitions w/o chkdsk running or any other problem - so the issue probably only arises when there are a Win10 OS partition and other earlier-version Windows OS partitions present on the same drive.

I have since posted on this issue to http://answers.microsoft.com/thread/...4-918441914aec but so far have not had any sensible reply.

If any other Lounge members have comments or ideas about the above I will be glad to hear them.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you run this by Terrabyte support?
    George

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have Win 8.1 and Win 10 installed on separate partitions on the same hd for about a week now and have not had any problems, chkdsk or otherwise. The computer does not have a uefi/bios so that may be why as I have read that other people are having the same problem as you.

Rich
    ‎5000 years ago, Moses said 2 Israel, "Pick up your shovels, mount your asses & camels, & I will lead you 2 the Promised Land." When Welfare was introduced, Roosevelt said, "Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, & light up a Camel, this is the Promised Land." Now the government has stolen your shovel, taxed your asses, raised the price of Camels & mortgaged the Promised Land to China

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by High Sierra View Post
    Have you run this by Terrabyte support?
    Not yet, but intend to do so ASAP.

I seriously doubt this problem arises from any "bug" in BootItBM, since as stated I have been running BootItBM on this and three other computers with a mix of Windows OSs since early 2007 without problems of this nature.
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rlfvt View Post
    I have Win 8.1 and Win 10 installed on separate partitions on the same hd for about a week now and have not had any problems, chkdsk or otherwise. The computer does not have a uefi/bios so that may be why as I have read that other people are having the same problem as you.

Rich
    The affected PC does not have a UEFI "BIOS". The motherboard is Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 which has a "traditional" Award BIOS circa. not long before UEFI appeared on the scene.

Thanks
    It seems the issue is caused by a Win10 (and Win8) "fast startup" feature.

See post by Lead3 at http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...68df449&page=1

EightForums tute about "fast boot": http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...ndows-8-a.html
    Last edited by Coochin; 2014-10-20 at 03:00. Reason: correction

Thanks

Problem fixed

I turned off Win10's "fast startup", and the problem has not happened since.

Have since copied the Win10 partition back to the SSD, and all is well.

So far Win10 feels noticeably more responsive and faster than Win7.

Thanks
    Windows startup times (from hitting "boot" in the BootItBM boot manager OS selection screen to display of Taskbar & Desktop with shortcuts).

Win7 Pro 32bit: 27 seconds

Win7 Pro 64bit: 25 seconds

Win10 TP 64bit: 17 seconds

No sign of any further problem of chkdsk running after a session in Win10.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rlfvt View Post
    ...I have Win 8.1 and Win 10 installed on separate partitions on the same hd for about a week now and have not had any problems, chkdsk or otherwise...
    From what I have read the "fast startup" problem does not happen with Win8 or 8.1, only Win7/Vista which don't understand "fast startup". So if you are dual-booting Win8/8.1 & Win10 there shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks
    Tip on installing Windows (especially if you intend to use a boot-manager e.g.: "BootItBM" as mentioned in my #1 post):

If you install Windows to an new unpartitioned HDD, or to "unallocated space" on an existing HDD, in many cases Windows Setup will automatically create a "System" partition as well as a Windows partition. The "System" partition will normally be quite small (<>100MB), and will contain the Windows bootloader files (I am avoiding excessive detail here).

This "System" ("bootloader) partition can cause problems later if you are using 3rd-party "boot manager" programs, or if you want to change the arrangement of partitions on your boot HDD.

I have found it works best to follow the below steps when installing Windows (i.e.: XP and later):

1. Disconnect all existing HDDs (and/or SSDs).

2. Connect a new HDD (or SSD), or a spare HDD (or SSD).

3. Use a suitable boot CD (e.g.: BootItBM) to create a suitably-sized partition on the target drive (best if the target drive has no other partitions).

4. Reboot to your Windows install CD/DVD and install Windows on the empty partition you created in step 3 (this causes Windows Setup to install any "bootmanager" files on the same partition, not on a separate "System" partition).

5. Once you have the version of Windows installed on the partition you will be able to boot to it (provided you haven't re-connected any other OS-containing drive in the meantime). You can now "image" that partition and/or ("and" recommended before "or") copy it to whichever HDD/SSD you want to boot from it.

6.Reboot to your boot manager and re-configure your boot manager to add the new OS to the list of available boot options.

The advantage is that you can "mix-n-match" various combinations of OSs and boot between them without having to wrestle with changing "Boot Options" in BIOS or UEFI setup.