Star Lounger
    Thanks

Programs are slow to respond

I'll try to explain this the best I can. A computer that I have not the one listed in any of my sigs is having a little issue. Sometimes when I turn on the computer I will open up a program the program will open but it's like it opens in slow motion as the program opens you see it slowly go into its open state. You actually see it opening. I know you can always somewhat see a program open but this is like it is in slow motion. It does this for all the programs that I open and close. This will actually go away later or sometimes if I restart it. When I go into the bios the bios is very choppy. It is an ASRock board and when I contacted them they said to reset the bios. When I did it helped but now it is doing it again. I have reset the bios again and it helped again the other day but now it is doing it again. Does this sound like a bios problem? Does anyone seem to know? I don't know how else I could explain what is happening.

It is an ASRock Z87 Pro4, AMD XFX 7850 Vid card, GSkill ripjaws memory, Xeon E3-1220 V3, Corsair TX650 PSU, Windows 7 Pro.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Is it still the same in a clean boot or in Safe Mode with Networking ?

Have you tried it with just one RAM module then the other (assuming more than one RAM stick).

When was the last time you defragged the HDD ?

Have you checked that %temp% isn't choca block with files and is the clock keeping time ?
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-10-20 at 07:28.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    ...Have you checked that %temp% isn't choca block with files...
    Shame on you Sudo15!

What is "choca block"?

Surely you must have meant "chock-a-block"? (see http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-cho3.htm).

(I am joking of course - I think we all know what you meant).
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ingeborgdot View Post
    ...Does this sound like a bios problem? Does anyone seem to know?...
    Not really.

More likely to do with what Sudo15 says in his #2 post.

Quote Originally Posted by ingeborgdot View Post
    ...Have you checked that %temp% isn't chock-a-block with files...(Sudo15's misspelling corrected )
    A very common cause of the slow-downs you describe is large numbers of old temporary files in Windows' various "temp" folders.

You could try running "CCleaner" (see https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download which seems very popular amongst members of this forum, but I have found "Cleanup!" (see http://www.stevengould.org/software/.../download.html) more effective.

If there are a large number of temp files in the temp folders (i.e.: 10,000+) then the system will slow down. When a program needs to store data in a temp file it asks Windows for a filename to use. Windows looks at the files that are already in the temp folders, and responds to the program with the next-available filename. This function should take only a very short time, but if you multiply even a very short time by a large number then the slowdown can become quite significant.
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    Shame on you Sudo15!

What is "choca block"?

Surely you must have meant "chock-a-block"? (see http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-cho3.htm).

(I am joking of course - I think we all know what you meant).
    Senior moment - thought it didn't look right and was wondering if it could have been lost in translation, but given some of what I call txt speak that is used on the forum - I can get lost off

An alternative clean out program is http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/tfc/ but it doesn't suit all systems as it causes one of my Win 7 x64 laptops to freeze.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-10-20 at 07:35.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    ...An alternative clean out program is http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/tfc/ but it doesn't suit all systems as it causes one of my Win 7 x64 laptops to freeze.
    I can only guess at how many times I have run Cleanup! (i.e.: v4.5.2), and how many computers I have run it on (thousands). Have not had a single failure, and I have found it more effective than any other temp cleaner (including CCleaner).

Although I see CCleaner on many customers' computers I do not have much confidence in it, especially the registry cleaner and software uninstaller components.

Whenever I find it necessary to run a registry cleaner or uninstaller etc. I prefer to use jv16 Power Tools. I began using jv16 in late 2005 and have found it to be very useful and reliable.