New Lounger
    Thanks

Angry Forced Upgrade from Windows 8.0 to 8.1

I had not voluntarily upgraded from Win 8.0 to Win 8.1 as everything was finally working &, from what I read online many people had problems with the Upgrade & the major Windows 8.1 update that occurred in April. Periodically I would get a banner telling me to go to the Windows store but there was always a way to opt out.

This past Wednesday I started getting MS nag messages about upgrading every 4 hours. On Thursday I got a large banner across my entire screen asking me if I wanted to upgrade to 8.1 now or wait 4 hours. Unlike the other MS nag messages there was no way to opt out, or get rid of the banner without making a choice. This time I was not asked to go to the Windows Store to upgrade. So I clicked hrs “4 hours” thinking there would be a way to opt out before the the upgrade download started. I kept working but I noticed the computer was very sluggish. In about 3 hrs the banner popped up again telling me the upgrade had downloaded & my computer would restart in 10 minutes! All I could do at this point was to save what I was doing & turn off my anti virus so that would not cause any problems. I also quickly uninstalled Classic Shell as I thought that might cause a problem. It took about 2 hrs for the process to complete but in the end I had Windows 8.1. I was very sick of the whole thing so all I did was to change the hideous orange desktop theme. I also made sure that my settings in Windows update was set to "Check Only" so there would be no new surprises.

When I turned on the computer yesterday (Friday) I got “Please wait while your update installs.” Apparently, the second part of the payload was being delivered (Win 8.1 update). Obviously, the "Check Only" setting in Windows Update had been ignored. This time I was not even a chance to turn off my anti-virus. This unwanted update took another 1.5 hrs to complete, leaving me with no sound or internet connection. It took me another 4 hours to troubleshoot these problems.

I think the second payload may have been downloading the previous night right after the involuntary upgrade to 8.1. I had noticed after the initial upgrade to 8.1 my computer was quite sluggish. Clearly MS really wanted to deliver this upgrade badly as it over road my Windows update setting. This is very invasive & I am not pleased at all. Have not had a chance to check everything out to see if there are any other glitches. I did notice it dumped everything that was in Recycle so hopefully I am not missing anything critical. I also got a notice today from my computer manufacturer that now that I have 8.1 I will have to purchase a “Premium” recovery plan. Otherwise if I continue to use the free recovery it will revert back to 8.0. Thanks a lot Microsoft!

Overall, I see no vast improvements. I don’t use One Drive but that seems to want to upload my files even though I tried to change the setting. The one thing in 8.1 I was remotely interested in having does not work. In IE 11 there is suppose to be a “Reader View” which strips out ads & makes pages cleaner to read. There should be an icon of an open book on the right side of the IE address/search bar that you can click on to use this feature. I do not have the book icon & have found no way to activate this feature. If anyone knows how to fix this, please let me know.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seacitylady1 View Post
    In IE 11 there is suppose to be a “Reader View” which strips out ads & makes pages cleaner to read. There should be an icon of an open book on the right side of the IE address/search bar that you can click on to use this feature. I do not have the book icon & have found no way to activate this feature. If anyone knows how to fix this, please let me know.
    Answered in the thread you started about this. Please do NOT ask the same questions in multiple forums. All that does is causes extra work and confusion.

Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Also, we were warned that Microsoft would push that Update.
    http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-pushe...th-7000029336/

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry - I will NOT do it again but I do thank you for clearing things up.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    Also, we were warned that Microsoft would push that Update.
    http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-pushe...th-7000029336/
    The warning was related to the update for Windows 8.1 pushed out in April, not a forced upgrade of 8.0 to 8.1. That pushed upgrade was apparently not ready for prime time & caused lots of problems. I believe it was reissued again in May to correct some of the issues & there have been subsequent patches.

Administrator
    Thanks
    See An update to enable an automatic update from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1. If you have this patch installed it may be the culprit.

Joe

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

seacitylady1 (2014-10-19)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Looks like that would be KB2885699. It looks like there was an earlier patch that did the same thing but this one apparently replace it. I searched but don't have either one. I've always had my Win update set as "Check Only" so I got a notification but the update does not dl until I did it manually. I've been bitten before with auto update so I like to give a it a day or so to see if others are having problems. I know one other person this happened to. He was at work when it happened so he may have had the auto update patch installed. I'll let him know. He had a lot more problems then I did so he is really unhappy. My sound is still not working right. It does not work when I do a cold boot. I have to restart & then it works. I have the correct driver but I changed it out just to see if that would do anything. Nada. I guess I will just have to live with the restart work-around.

Also can't use the left button on my touch pad but touch pad itself & right mouse button work. Changing drivers out didn't fix this either so I am using a wireless mouse. Weird. Everything was working fine before which is why I was reluctant to do the upgrade. I planned to just wait until the next iteration of Win comes out, probably next Spring. Things that are wrong are relatively little things but I just got this laptop last Feb so pretty disgusted. Win 8 has been a huge bust & I understand most of the original development team have gone on to "new opportunities" as they say. MS must be pretty desperate to capture back some market share if they are having to resort threatening users with pulling support if they don't update. I've never seen them do this with any service pack that has come out in the past.

Administrator
    Thanks
    If this is a work issued PC then they may be controlling what gets installed.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No this issue affect my personal computer as well as the other person's. Very few businesses have adopted Win 8.0.