New Lounger
    Thanks

No Reader View icon in IE 11

I just upgrade to Win 8.1. The one thing in IE 11 I thought would be useful does not work. In IE 11 there is suppose to be a “Reader View” which strips out ads & makes pages cleaner to read. There should be an icon of an open book on the right side of the IE address/search bar that you can click on to use this feature. I do not have the book icon & have found no way to activate this feature.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Not sure what you are looking for but putting reader view in IE11's Search box on both Win7 and Win8.1 brings up a few things to check. One of them is for Adobe Reader for .pdf files, there's others. I don't have that icon on either one. If you read that somewhere I'd like to see it, see if I'm missing out on something.
    Last edited by Berton; 2014-10-19 at 17:45.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This link explains what Reading View it is suppose to do. Looks pretty cool!

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2...-in-ie-11.aspx

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Reading view is a feature of "immersive IE" (i.e. modern/metro IE).

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Reading view is a feature of "immersive IE" (i.e. modern/metro IE).

Joe
    Thanks! I see it now. I never use IE from Start. That's mainly because when I use it from Start I have a big box on the lower right side of the page with an arrow pointing to Start. (Duh!) It covers part of the address bar & is really annoying. I can't seem to get rid of it so I just use the desktop version. Too bad they didn't incorporate into that version as it's really cool & I would use it a lot.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Just wondering, is that a difference between the Metro or Modern UI and the Desktop view of IE? I don't use Metro or Modern, prefer going straight to the Desktop therefore I don't have the Address Bar at the bottom of the IE 11 window.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    @Berton

Yes, both "reading view" and the address bar positioning.

Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by seacitylady1 View Post
    Thanks! I see it now. I never use IE from Start. That's mainly because when I use it from Start I have a big box on the lower right side of the page with an arrow pointing to Start. (Duh!) It covers part of the address bar & is really annoying. I can't seem to get rid of it so I just use the desktop version. Too bad they didn't incorporate into that version as it's really cool & I would use it a lot.
    Click the big box with an arrow once and you should never see it again: Disable the help stickers in Windows 8.1

Bruce

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, but for some reason the sticker does not respond to clicking. It's the only one I have come across so far but I really don't use any of the tiles so there may be others. I'll check & see if there are others & see if I can get rid of them.

Thanks
    Thanks, but for some reason the sticker does not respond to clicking. It's the only one I have come across so far but I really don't use any of the tiles so there may be others. I'll check & see if there are others & see if I can get rid of them.
    ClassicShell adds a Start button and menus to the taskbar, and sets Win8/8.1 to go straight to the Desktop at startup.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    ClassicShell adds a Start button and menus to the taskbar, and sets Win8/8.1 to go straight to the Desktop at startup.
    How does that help with Metro IE?

Thanks
    ClassicShell gives one some functions that were partNparcel with Windows XP and Windows 7. I'm not sure if it will help with Metro IE, however, when I used it within Windows 8, it gave me some "look and feel" of Windows 7.
    Last edited by RolandJS; 2014-11-07 at 14:48.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    If you use Classic shell or some third party Start Menu and you disable the hotspot the sicker is try to show you how to use, the sticker won't go away since its programmed to stay there until you follow its "helpful" instructions and trigger the hotspot. You might want to re enable the hot spots until the stickers go away or apply the registry edits in Bruce's links.

Jerry

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

BruceR (2014-11-09)