Thanks

Adobe Flash crashes

I have had Flash crashing with Firefox, IE, and Chrome. I disabled hardware acceleration on FF, and it seems to help, but not dependably.

Is there something to be gained by uninstalling Flash and then reinstalling? If so, does uninstalling remove all traces from all browsers, or just the "core" files?

Any ideas would be appreciated, since many sites -- some of which I need to access -- rely on Flash, so disabling isn't really an option.

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've had random crashing with Opera 12.17 the past few days and before seeing your post,had added to Susan Bradley's Windows update thread from re last newsletter, wondering if something in the MS update could be causing it.* I'd had an FP 15 beta (.199) installed for some reason. Replacing it today with the latest public version, 15.0.189, seemed to settle the matter with a video that had crashed twice, but I just got another crash so have to wonder what's going on. I hadn't experienced any Opera crashes before this in quite some time.

* http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...821#post970821

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    This article is more for when Adobe Flash doesn't install properly but gives detailed instructions to ensure all Flash files are removed prior to trying the reinstall.

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/...r-windows.html

There could be something in this article to help http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/...sh-player.html but some Flash problems can be attributed to graphics drivers and updating/downloading from the computer (for OEM) or mfg's (for home build) support site is worth a go.

There could also be related Errors recorded in Event Viewer and Reliability history.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-10-20 at 11:33.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

CWBillow (2014-10-20)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. I had uninstalled using Revo Pro, but will try again. Btw, when I was still using the FP beta, I posted to the Adobe FP forum but the moderator rejected it. No reason given, but suspect it might have to do with ignorance about the standing of Opera 12.17 vs. 25. I often include a note about that, but didn't that time.

Thanks
    I'll give them both a look.

Thanks,
    Chuck
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I followed the uninstall/reinstall steps with reboots and will see what turns out. In the meantime, I'm getting an add-on message in IE11 at many websites that I've not seen before. I assume it's somehow related to this FP process, but FP does appear to work. See the screenshot. Any ideas?

Update: Found the solution: Have to activate Active X in IE via the operations icon upper right.
    Last edited by highstream; 2014-10-20 at 17:46.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Whatever is causing the crashing, uninstall/reinstall made it worse. Opera's now even crashing on the Speed Dial page.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by highstream View Post
    Whatever is causing the crashing, uninstall/reinstall made it worse. Opera's now even crashing on the Speed Dial page.
    This is really Chuck's thread as the OP but is it possible to run Opera without add-ons or reset it to defaults ?

Also check to see if you have the same problem in Safe Mode with Networking and if it's okay in that mode, check to see if it's still okay in a clean boot.

If it's okay in Safe Mode etc. but not in a clean boot, that would tend to point to your AV - but also try the sites with another browser with the relevant FP extension/plug-in installed.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the indulgence. I've just discovered that the Opera problem here was not Flash Player but that on the 10/15 Opera developers remotely reset SSL3 to off and TLS 1.1 and 1.2 to on with both Opera 25 and 12.xx for security reasons. The fix, which Opera apparently won't override and is so far reportedly stopping the crashes, is to reset those two TLS entries to off (TLS 1 on and SSL off are ok). I understand from the Opera write up that other browsers are also doing some resets.
    http://blogs.opera.com/security/
    https://forums.opera.com/discussion/...ntil-yesterday (Oct 21 - rseiler)
    Last edited by highstream; 2014-10-21 at 17:50.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    MS has advised that SSL 3.0 be unchecked and that TLS 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2 are checked - have posted the link for that in http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...887-TLS-vs-SSL but with mine set to as MS advises in IE 10, I can stream live TV without any problems - perhaps it causes a glitch in Opera they yet don't know about, although I've seen your thread in the Opera forum and perhaps it will be picked up by the techs.

It may also be because you are connecting to web servers that only support up to SSL 3.0 and not the TLSs as the article describes.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-10-21 at 19:04.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Before coming across the Opera Security thread, I read the first of the MS links below, which puts the matter differently. Note that the base article it refers to is aimed at IT professionals.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...y/2977292.aspx

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...y/3009008.aspx

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Yes, I'd come across that first link before because some were experiencing problems with KB2977292 and the second link is the one I'd linked in the other forum thread.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I can say that since turning TLS 1.1 and 1.2 off yesterday afternoon, Opera 12 hasn't crashed.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Yes, I'd come across that first link before because some were experiencing problems with KB2977292 and the second link is the one I'd linked in the other forum thread.
    In your opening post you said that FP randomly crashes - so it could be working now on sites that support either SSL or TLS whereas when it wasn't crashing, those sites supported TLS.

Can you remember which sites it didn't crash on when SSL 3.0 was unchecked ?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Can't really help you there. It seemed at first FP, but when Opera's Speed Dial page crashes (3x in total) it's probably not about FP. I wasn't paying attention to the SSL or TLS settings until yesterday. That said, crashes were random and sometimes the crash box didn't indicate a site, as if the problem were more basic.