Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Sending to Chrome when NOT the default browser

I tried adding a Chrome shortcut to the SendTo folder, but that didn't work. Is there a way to put Chrome in the context menu, or a way to add an "Open with" that would serve the purpose?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    How did you add the Chrome shortcut?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Paul;

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" "%1"

Is there no way to have a shortcut that will work for Chrome AND other browsers at the same time, or is Chrome's method unique and only applicable to Chrome?

Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What results are you getting?

IE is my default browser, but creating a new shortcut on my Desktop with this shortcut string:

Code:
    "C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" "http://windowssecrets.com/forums/showthread.php/164877-Sending-to-Chrome-when-NOT-the-default-browser"
    brought up this forum in a new tab in Chrome.

How are you intending to use this SendTo target? If I set up a shortcut on my Desktop with the same URL, then use your SendTo shortcut for Chrome, I have the shortcut FILE opend in Chrome, not the target. I don't know how to get a shortcut to expose it's target to a SendTo without going through a Windows API to get to the properties of the shortcut.
    Last edited by pjustice57; 2014-10-20 at 17:05. Reason: Better address the original request
    PJ in FL

Thanks
    That would make sense, as it is a whole path to both the browser and the link. I wonder if that would work with a variable for Chrome...

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Shortcuts in the SendTo menu do not require, and should not have, arguments. Drop the "%1". Suggested procedure: copy a tested, known-good shortcut for Chrome to your SendTo folder; open its properties dialog; remove any arguments that may be present in the target. Voilą.

Thanks
    If I am understanding, then the Target for the Chrome shortcut would just show "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe"
    ?
    or
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --app=

?

Neither seemed to work.

Chuck

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I don't have Chrome but the straight shortcut method works on my Windows 8 box with Firefox. Maybe Chrome does not play well with others.

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CWBillow View Post
    If I am understanding, then the Target for the Chrome shortcut would just show "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe"
    ?
    or
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --app=

?

Neither seemed to work.

Chuck
    The first (assuming that path is correct). What happens when you double-click that shortcut?

Chrome does fine in the SendTo menu, with one foible re. URL shortcuts.

Thanks
    Not for me. I have a "straight" Chrome shortcut in my SendTo folder. If I have a link on my desktop that works with both IE and Firefox and send it to Chrome, I get the following on a blank page

[InternetShortcut]
    URL=http://www.3x3links.com/?set=0

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CWBillow View Post
    Not for me. I have a "straight" Chrome shortcut in my SendTo folder. If I have a link on my desktop that works with both IE and Firefox and send it to Chrome, I get the following on a blank page

[InternetShortcut]
    URL=http://www.3x3links.com/?set=0
    Remember this?

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...-SendTo-folder

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Chrome in SendTo works normally with LNK shortcuts. With URL shortcuts, Chrome in SendTo (unlike other browsers) opens the shortcut file itself rather than the target file. The only workaround I can think of is the script approach.

Thanks
    Ah well...thanks.

Chuck

Thanks
    Chuck:

IN post #4 above, pjustice57 put the following:

"C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" "http://windowssecrets.com/forums/showthread.php/164877-Sending-to-Chrome-when-NOT-the-default-browser"

This entire line is the "target".

You will notice that there are two items in the target. The first part is in quotes, and it is the entire path and file name for opening a Chrome browser session. The second part is also in quotes, and it is the actual web site that you want to open. (He could have left the quotes off of the second part, since there is no space in that part.)

(The "start in" value would be "C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application")

In order to make sure that a web page opens with Chrome, you can create a shortcut on your desktop and put both parts in as the target, separating the two parts with a space. (If there is a space in the path, then you should enclose the entire path and file name in quotes, so that it will treat the entire thing as one item.)

In fact, this is my preferred method for opening certain web pages with specific browsers. It will work for IE, Firefox, Chrome, etc.

If you can do it this way rather than using the SendTo method, I can guarantee you that the desired browser will be the one that opens the web page.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2014-10-21 at 17:13.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

CWBillow (2014-10-21)

Thanks
    Jim,

You are right. Thanks. The one annoyance that comes from that is a "commitment" to a given browser for a given shortcut/location.

So, I would need two shortcuts (or three, depending), one for Chrome and the other for other browsers.

I recall a piece of this issue that last time I looked at Chrome...I wondered then and now why Google did it that way....

Thanks,
    Chuck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast