Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

$SysReset Folders

I have a folder named #SysReset on the C drives of my Win 7 and Win 8.1 SSDs. The Win 7 folder was created, I believe, when I recently reinstalled the OS, and the Win 8.1 folder when I recently reinstalled that OS.

Can I safely delete the $SysReset folders?

Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards, Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    The $SysReset on my Windows 8.0 install is only 147KB, it can stay there as long as it wants!

There isn't one in my Windows 7 install.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Browni, thanks but I would appreciate someone telling me whether I can safely delete the $SysReset folders?

Regards, Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Why?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    This is the third time you've asked this question here plus at least one time in Microsoft answers forum. Please STOP. If you have not gotten a response either no one has been able to find out or no one knows.

See Windows 8 Forensics: Reset and Refresh Artifacts for an explanation of the folder. My best guess is that if your system is running OK you can delete it. Use the Disk Cleanup tool to delete this.

Joe

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

royw (2014-10-21)

Thanks
    This folder is created if you perform a System Refresh. It contains information useful to a forensic investigator and which is useless to everyone else. Delete it if you wish. As usual before deleting anything, set a restore point.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks JoeP517 and Calimanco, but JoeP517 I don't understand you getting annoyed with me. If I can't ask for information in the forum what is the point in me being a member?

Regards,
    Roy

Roy Whitethread

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    You may ask. That is why the forum is here. Just don't ask multiple times in different thread in the same or different forums. Everyone here is a volunteer freely giving their time to help. Posting the same thing multiple times just has everyone who reads it doing the same analysis and research multiple times to try to give you an answer. If you are not receiving an answer either ask again in the same forum referencing your prior post

When you've posted the question at another site it is consider polite to at least note that you've done so. If you persist in posting multiple times at multiple sites you are likely to find your requests ignored.

Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    JoeP517, I did not remember that I had asked the same question on another site, and I apologise for that. (My memory is normally excellent). As to my post #3, Browni didn't say whether the folders could be deleted and I hoped he or another member would tell me. In light of your post #5 I decide to keep the folders.

Regards, Roy

Roy Whitethread