2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Seek comments about USB DVD drive on Win7 computer

My computer OS is Win7 Home Premium. Feel free to comment even if your OS is different. Portable USB DVD drives are becoming more popular. I decided I would, get with it, so to speak. I ordered a Samsung SE-208DB USB DVD drive. A single quick install sheet came with the drive. The quick install sheet simply says to connect the USB cable to the drive and also to your computer. It also says to read the manual prior to using the drive.
    There was no manual supplied. A search of the Samsung site drew a blank. There are many manuals available there, but, none for the SE-208DB. I found an SE-208DB manual on a third party site. The manual says the drive requires 1.4A of current. It also says you may have to use a Y connector to get the drive to work properly. My limited knowledge says that USB 2.0 ports supply a max of 0.5A. Ying 2 of them still only gets 1.0A max.
    This is my first attempt at using a portable DVD drive.
    At this point I have not connected it to the computer. I have dozens of questions. A few of them are;

Will this destroy one of my computer USB ports?
    Can I destroy 2 USB ports with a Y cable?
    Should I have ordered a drive that has its own power supply?

I would appreciate hearing any comments about using this portable USB DVD drive.
    Michael

Thanks
    Will this destroy one of my computer USB ports? No

Can I destroy 2 USB ports with a “Y” cable? No

Should I have ordered a drive that has its own power supply? A power brick is not much use if the drive is to be used with a laptop, which is what they are intended for. Plug the drive into a single USB socket first and see if it works before getting a Y cable. If it doesn't work with a front USB connector, try one of the rear ones.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Calimanco For This Useful Post:

Michael37713 (2014-10-21)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Writing usually needs a bit more power so connecting to two ports is a good idea.

cheers, Paul

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Michael37713 (2014-10-20)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I have two External USB Optical drives, one HP and one Lite-On. Both use 2 USB ports on the computer, one required for data and power and the other for required additional power. I've used both on a Self-Powered USB 2.0 Hub when not having 2 USB ports available.

I also have a box/case that accepts a standard Optical drive and has its own built-in power supply. All 3 drives read and write and can use DL/Dual-Layer DVD+RW discs. An example of the case [one on the left]:
    http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/drive.../optical_drive

Edit: I should also say I've used them on WinXP and later, actually started with one on Win2000.
    Last edited by Berton; 2014-10-20 at 12:10.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

Michael37713 (2014-10-20)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If it doesn't work with a front USB connector, try one of the rear ones.
    My laptop only has USB on left and right. There are no rear connectors. My desktop has 4 rear connectors. The specs however don’t show any difference in power.

before getting a Y cable
    I was surprised by this. The cable supplied is a single USB plug. It seems odd that a “Y” will be necessary when they supply just a single plug cable. I get the impression though, that using a “Y” is very common, perhaps even necessary.

I've used both on a Self-Powered USB 2.0 Hub
    This is yet another surprise to me. Perhaps I should be looking into a USB 3.0 hub. It might be useful for other things also.

This is my first experience with an external DVD. Great to hear all your comments.
    Michael

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Perhaps I should be looking into a USB 3.0 hub. It might be useful for other things also.
    So far the only issue I've seen with a USB 3.0 port and using USB 2.0 devices has been with an older printer, stopped printing after about 1.5" and popped up a communication error. Changed the printer to a USB 2.0 port and problem went away. It was a new computer setup and reinforced the notion that using a flashlight when under the desk to plug things in is a good thing to do.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I have a USB 2 device that won't work on my USB 3 ports, or the USB 2 hub on the USB 3 port. Luckily I also have a USB 2 port so all is well.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Michael37713
    SE-208DB/TSBS manual may be found @
    http://www.samsung.com/au/support/model/SE-208DB/TSBS

That said, it does seem strange 1.4 A from a port that I have always thought was 500 mA

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a USB 2 device that won't work on my USB 3 ports, or the USB 2 hub on the USB 3 port.
    My reason for considering a USB 3.0 hub would be to get the current up to 1.0A available each port. A "Y" on those would get me past the Samsung spec of 1.4A
    Ah well, it's just a thought now. Thanks for the cheers.

SE-208DB/TSBS manual may be found
    I went back to that page as you suggested. Apparently my mouse clicked the wrong item. It is critical to click "user manual" and NOT "downloads. The manual listed there is identical to the one I downloaded.

That said, it does seem strange 1.4 A from a port that I have always thought was 500 mA
    +1, another +1, another +1. That is one of the strangest specs I've encountered. The Samsung manual listed on the Samsung site clearly shows a spec of "USB port current = 1.4A or higher". The spec is on page 11 of their manual.
    Anyway, moving along, I did connect the external DVD to a USB 2 port and tried copying data from it to the hard drive. All went well. Did not try writing yet. Don't know if I will ever get to writing on a DVD. Haven't done that in a bit.
    Nice to hear from all of you.
    Michael

New Lounger
    Thanks
    What seems to be causing the confusion is the proliferation of "high power" USB ports for charging smartphones. The specification for USB ports did indeed only say 500mA @ 5V originally, but recent computers usually have at least one port for charging smartphones or other high-power devices and are capable of 1.5A. That's more than enough...IF...you have one of those ports.

Ironically finding the manual for the drive was only half of the problem, you now need to find the manual for your computer to make sure you have one of the high-power USB ports for charging. If you don't I can recommend Amazon's own brand powered USB hubs. I have bought one and it has three high-power outputs on the 10-port. It was the cheapest powered one and it has worked perfectly. Of course if you prefer a brand name, then go with whatever you feel is best. I actually archive stuff on 50GB M-Discs, so I got a Pioneer drive that was guaranteed to read/write them. I could not find a portable drive that would work, so I got an internal one and put it in a powered SATA external enclosure. Everything except the laptop itself is powered from a power strip, so turning everything on and off is just one switch.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to T.K For This Useful Post:

Michael37713 (2014-10-23)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    T.K.
    Ironically finding the manual for the drive was only half of the problem, you now need to find the manual for your computer to make sure you have one of the high-power USB ports for charging.
    I have checked my computer manual. I have 6 installed USB 2.0 ports. None are listed as charging ports.

If you don't I can recommend Amazon's own brand powered USB hubs. I have bought one and it has three high-power outputs on the 10-port.
    This sounds very interesting. However, I am totally NOT familiar with “Amazon’s own brand”. A quick check on my part showed a “AmazonBasics”. Can you supply more details on where to find the one you are referring to. I would be very interested.

Thanks
    Michael

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a lg bluray disk usb writer separate power. Only way to go. Writes cd dvd dvddl bluray etc and totally dependable. From fry's. And bluray disks are about $1 now.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Michael,

Hmm...If the manual are saying the ports are USB 2.0, I seriously doubt any of them are new enough to support high-power charging then sadly. I would say that you need a powered USB hub and make sure it does say it has high-power charging port(s). They just might call them "quick charge" ports, but that is not the correct name in my opinion, as a small phone can charge quickly from a normal port without needing more than the usual 500mA.

Sorry, I do buy a lot of things form Amazon, so I forget and use "shorthand" - My apologies!

Yes, indeed I did mean Amazon Basics. I now look out for their leads, peripherals, etc. as they seem excellent quality (at least so far in my experience) and are cheaper than brand names. I always carefully check reviews of any product, firstly to make sure it does have all the features I like, and then I check all the one star reviews to find what the real problems are with the product. Often the -ve reviews are for poor delivery, which means the product was great, it was just poor delivery that made then vote it lowly. Real red flags are lots of "had to return" type comments in the one and two star reviews. So many products I have refused to buy from well-known manufacturers because of "had to return" comments and almost as damming - "Customer Service was useless" type comments. I often end up with a little-known name that is only half the price, but as good or better quality AND having bought it from Amazon, they offer a money-back guarantee or replacement that they are really good about. I now rarely buy from eBay because of Amazon being so good. Incidentally, for anyone who does buy from eBay and has a problem - Raise the dispute with Paypal NOT eBay. Paypal acts essentially like a bank, issuing credit cards. So they are much more tightly-controlled than eBay and that means you are much more likely to get a fair hearing about getting your money back if something does occasionally go wrong.

Amazon reviews are invaluable to me, I check out the ratings for pretty much everything I buy on there first, even if I don't buy it from Amazon eventually. Only last week Amazon stopped me from being ripped off by alerting me one or more sellers in China substituting a lower-specification product than what you paid for, because they look the identical. Sure enough, I had bought one from eBay and I had a lower spec. than I had paid for, so I alerted them and I was able to get a promise of the correct product being sent. If they do not, I should be able to get my money back from Paypal. I would not have bought that product at all from eBay if I had known that they were sold on Amazon.

Anyway, that is why I recommend Amazon in general and that I have had really good experiences with Amazon Basics and with Amazon themselves on the odd occasion when something does go wrong. Read the reviews for the 10-port hubs and decide for yourself which seems best, like how many are faulty, or do not last long, it can be really eye-opening to read real world results on some well-known products!
    Last edited by T.K; 2014-10-24 at 20:04.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks