Thread: TLS vs SSL

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

TLS vs SSL

I have a very basic question about secure websites. All the secure websites I use say they are protected by "industry standard SSL." I thought that TLS replaced SSL technology. Are these websites just trying to avoid confusing their customers (people have heard of SSL but not TLS), or is SSL still in use?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You may be a little wiser after reading http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...(v=ws.10).aspx but I was more concerned when I came across this article a few days ago and have done as it suggests https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...y/3009008.aspx

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    SSL is used by your browser - you get a padlock in the URL box and sometimes a nice green URL box. TLS is used by other programs, mainly mail. As most users only "see" the browser security, SSL is the thing most people hear about.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chris.revere View Post
    I have a very basic question about secure websites. All the secure websites I use say they are protected by "industry standard SSL." I thought that TLS replaced SSL technology. Are these websites just trying to avoid confusing their customers (people have heard of SSL but not TLS), or is SSL still in use?
    See "Windows Secrets Newsletter Issue 454 2014-10-23 Protecting yourself from POODLE attacks".

Basically, the fix is to turn off (uncheck) "Use SSL3.0" in Control Panel/Internet Options/Advanced (scroll down to the "Security" section and uncheck "use SSL3.0" then click the "Apply" button at lower-right of the dialog).

I turned off SSL3.0 after reading the Windows Secrets "Protecting yourself from POODLE attacks" newsletter, and have not had any problems after doing so.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.