New Lounger
    Thanks

help - how do i update directly to win8.1 on a fresh installed win8.0?

i have a dell inspiron 14 3421 that came with windows 8.0 SL x64.

i have been trying to freshly install the windows 8 and then upgrade/update to win8.1.
    i have been after it since 20 days, and attempted it 6 times, with one or the other thing going wrong, as i try to follow guidance available on the net.

can someone help me?

here are a few questions:

1. someone suggested that after a fresh install of windows 8, i need only one update (kb2871389) to get and perform the 8.1 update ((thru store). i tried this and it did work - that is, i did get to update to 8.1.
    my question is, is this true? can i directly update to 8.1 after installing 2871389, or do i need any other updates for a perfect running system?

2. is there any way you suggest i go about updating to win 8.1 on (or after) a frshly installed win 8.0?

i have all the (dell) drivers downloaded and stored with me - for win 8.0 and win 8.1
    i have the 2 updates downloaded and stored, needed after instaling windows 8.1 - kb2919442 and 2919355

i am now at my wit's end - downloading files and updates and doing all this.
    i hope someone can help me.

as you can see... i am completely 'green' at this... so, a step by step would be a boon!

thank you.

biren

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Welcome to the WS Lounge!

You say in Q1 that you managed to update to Win 8.1, then Q2 asks how to do it. What is the problem? Are you unsure whether the update succeeded?

If so Start/Programs/Admin Tools/System Information will show what version you have installed. Or a quicker way to check is to see if there is an icon for the Windows Store at the bottom of your screen. As I recall, this only appears when 8.1 has been installed, although it might be after 8.1 Update – commonly known as 8.1.1 to all except MS.

In any event, you will need to update to 8.1 Update, obtainable from Control Panel/Windows Update.

Hope this helps.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by biroo View Post
    i need only one update (kb2871389) to get and perform the 8.1 update ((thru store). i tried this and it did work - that is, i did get to update to 8.1.
    my question is, is this true? can i directly update to 8.1 after installing 2871389, or do i need any other updates for a perfect running system?
    biren
    Perhaps you have installed the update already. Check out the link to find out.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...erating-system

Rich

New Lounger
    Thanks
    i am feeling sheepish... sorry rich and george.
    in my frustration, i never realised i was ranting rather than requesting clearly for help.

so here is what i did (process i followed), and the place i am in (results?):
    (i followed the following process on the guidance from someone at dell support forum)

1. i fresh-installed windows 8 from Dell supplied OS dvd.

2. installed only the network driver, so as to get on to the net.

3. downloaded (standalone) and installed KB2871389 (to get the 8.1 update through store)

4. updated win8.1 through store.

5. downloaded standalone kb2919442 and 2919355.

now... this is where i was thrown in a loop. when i tried to install 2919442, it said 'not applicable for your computer'. on trying to install 2919355, it said 'already installed'.
    i was supposed to install only the 2 updates 2919442 and 2919355 - as per the guidance.
    but it seems... since i had 'automatic windows updates' on, as per the 'express settings'... many updates were applied automatically - there were a number of updates showing in the list of 'installed updates'.

6. then i installed dell drivers (i had pre-downloaded dell drivers for win8.1) - following the advice from the dell forum (intel chipset, intel mgmnt engine interface, SATA, intel turbo boost, sd card reader, video (intel HD graphics and Nvidia), input, realtek ethernet, airplane mode switch, wireless card, intel wireless display connection, realtek audio, dell quickset)

as it stands now -
    • intel WiDi doesnot work;
    • bluetooth is not working (it shaows generic drivers only - dell drivers never got installed somehow. the bluetooth icon is seen, but can't connect a device)
    • dell quickset isn't working - in fact it is not even showing up.

so... my questions are:

A. if i want to re-try the SAME (above) process, then...

1. does getting win8.1 update thru only 1 update (2781389) affect system negatively - is it ok or is it necessary to install all windows8 updates before getting 8.1?
    2. if i switch off auto updates, and install only kb 2919442 and then 2919355 - before installing the drivers - would that be ok?
    3. is the installation order of drivers ok?
    4. should i install drivers first, immediately after updating to 8.1 (and before any other update)?

B. is there a better, or, more foolproof way you suggest - of updating to 8.1, immediately after a fresh install of win8.0?

i hope... this time i have given you enough, and correct, information... to enable you to guide me.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 8 to 8.1

Quote Originally Posted by biroo View Post

B. is there a better, or, more foolproof way you suggest - of updating to 8.1, immediately after a fresh install of win8.0?

i hope... this time i have given you enough, and correct, information... to enable you to guide me.
    I believe your next try should be guided by advice from Microsoft provided in the link below. It is important that the installation of Windows 8 has ALL updates installed. Check your Device Manager and make sure there are no problems indicated there and then proceed with the update from the Store.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ows-8-tutorial

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Did you run the Win 8/8.1 update advisor before installing Win 8.0 > - but you aren't the only one with Dell/Win 8.1/Bluetooth problems and this is a new machine which has had Dell tech attendance http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...bluetooth-gone

While that machine is still under warranty, don't know if you would also be able to get free Dell tech assistance if your machine is out of warranty.