Lounger
    Thanks

Talking {SOLVE:DDDDDDDDDD} How To Test My In-Built Laptop Mic? Win 7

I also need a really good audio-specific site to ask these kinds of questions. I need to troubleshoot,

*** How To Test My In-Built Laptop Mic? Win 7 ***
    Last edited by computerbabyproblems; 2014-10-22 at 03:01.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by computerbabyproblems View Post
    I also need a really good audio-specific site to ask these kinds of questions. I need to troubleshoot,

*** How To Test My In-Built Laptop Mic? Win 7 ***
    Start/All Programs/Accessories/Sound Recorder.

Use "Sound Recorder" to create an audio file. When you hit "Stop recording" it will ask you to save the file (by default in Documents). Then go to your Documents folder and double-click the file to play what you have recorded.

Note that programs like Skype will detect your microphone and will have a function to test it.

You can adjust the microphone's "recording level" (volume) at Control Panel/Sound/Recording/[click on microphone]/Properties/Levels.
    Last edited by Coochin; 2014-10-20 at 23:51. Reason: more info
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Lounger
    Thanks
    15 yrs of GENSIUSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

dont have skype but wont have helped

the only reason to test was to see if it was mic or application problem

looks like the mic muted somehow..... compltely stumped as to how........ can't think of anything.. google voice doesnt even let you mute the mic at the core level..

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by computerbabyproblems View Post
    ...looks like the mic muted somehow...compltely stumped as to how...
    Assuming you now have it working, you now know how to control and test your mic?

Note that the button with the "speaker" icon it to the right of the "levels" slider at "Control Panel/Sound/Recording/[click on microphone]/Properties/Levels" allows you to mute/unmute the mic.

If that button has a red circle/slash (as in the below image) then the mic is muted.

MicMuted.jpg

That button works like a toggle-switch (click to mute, click again to un-mute).

HTH
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Lounger
    Thanks
    i can test the mic with any voice application but i dont install any

or i can with any web apps, i dont know of any

--

problem is volume of inbuilt mic decrease randomly by itself when using google voice

do not know if it's drivers or what

any link to a step by step guide to try everything to see if the problem is solved?

win7
    dell inspiron 17r-n7110
    need to get slim mac air tablet with keyboard soon

Thanks
    We have a similar problem with my wife's laptop. It's the connection between the screen and the body - it's now affecting the screen as well (time for a new laptop for her!).

If there's no other solution you could try opening up the screen and check the connections as they might not be seated properly. You will have to Google for doing this.