New Lounger
    Thanks

Recreating outlook.pst

G'day!
    I followed the instructions in WOWMM #1.19 regarding archiving my outlook.pst file (in Outlook98). Everything worked and all seemed normal until I went to create a new message in my Inbox. When I clicked on the To... button I received a list of both old and new folders and sub-folders from my Contacts file. The old ones are empty because I transferred their contents to the new ones I built when I regenerated my outlook.pst. Only the new ones appear in the folder list. The only place that the old empty ones appear (so far!) is in the list supplied when I click on To...!
    How can I remove these old, empty folders?
    Cheers, Ken

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Recreating outlook.pst

view > folder view. is the archive pst in your folder tree? if so, right click on it and close. if no, you'll need to edit the registry to remove it. it's under messaging subsystem.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks MaryJ. I have managed in my four or so years of home computing to avoid having to use regedit - for the previous 30 years of computing at work someone else always did it if necessary! So would you like to be a little more specific, please. (Obviously I am also saying that I have removed the backup copy. It's now on a cd.) Cheers, Ken

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What exactly happens to the PST after awhile? Is it just some unknown gremlin, or is there some easy maintenance precedure to prevent it?

New Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know what happens to the .pst file. Woody doesn't spell it out in the books of his which I have read.

If anyone else is following this thread, can they please tell me how to find the register entries which MaryJ says are the problem, and how to remove them. I have looked in the register under Windows Messaging Subsystem and I cannot see anything I can recognise there as causing duplicate folder names. (I have asked MaryJ but I can see from the traffic on this board that her time is thoroughly occupied keeping up with new posts. So can anyone else help me (and MaryJ) out please?)
    Ciao
    Ken

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

problem's not the traffic as it is posts getting buried in the traffic [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

nothing happens to the pst, if they get too big ( close to 2 gig) they can be corrupted and the file size limit is 2gig. If you regularly get rid of old mail and empty the deleted folder, you'll be ok. When outlook is idle it'll compact the st for you, or you can do it manually.

After rereading the question - i'm not sure you need to edit the registry. What you see if you show folder view? View > folder list? Do you have the old and new psts listed? If so, just right click on it and close it.

if only the new one is listed, then you need to either create a new profile or edit the registry.

I'd probably recommend deleting your profile and making a new one, especially if you want to avoid the registry.

The entries are in a key under this (or a similar key, if depending on the OS)

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionWindows Messaging SubsystemProfiles

each pst has two keys containing this value: mspst.dll and the pst's friendly name. One of the keys has a value for PSTServiceEntry the other has the folder's file system path. Both need deleted to remove it from the folder list.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry to take up so much time on this, Mary, but my problem is still unresolved.

1. Only my new pst is listed in the folder view, although I did have both there for a while and did send messages getting addresses from To ... while both were there. Maybe that created the problem. I removed the backup copy after a while in my attempts to solve the problem before asking for help, but the problem did not go away.[img]/w3timages/icons/sad.gif[/img]
    2. I am running Win95 with Outlook98. When you refer to my profile I assume you mean all the different entries under Options. I cannot find a specific file or folder called Profile. Is that something in Win98 or higher?
    3. I had a look at the registry and could not get a perfect match to your description. I did find four possible entries, but which is (are?) causing the problem? (They are too big to attach so ...
    two of them have apparently the same entries including keys for "Personal Folder", "MSPST MS", "mspst.dll" and "PST Service Entry" but no entries for any path; another has keys for "Personal Folder", """", "Personal Folder", "mspst.dll", "MSPST MS" and "C:My Documentsarchive.pst"; and the fourth is the same except that the path is for "C:WINDOWSoutlook.pst"
    4. If I delete the registry entry for outlook.pst how do I get it back without recreating the problem? i.e. if I make a bacup first won't I just be backing up my problem? (I need an icon for "bewildered"!)
    My apologies again for taking so much time over this.
    Cheers, Ken [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

are your contacts in the new pst and is it set as an address book?

are you using internet mail mode? (see help > about) deleting the profile and starting over with the new pst will probably be the easiest.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Mary. I was so pre-occupied with the fact that I had done this when recreating my pst file that I completely overlooked the implication that I have somehow built the duplication when I did the recreation i.e. the duplication is actually in my recreated pst file. I will have another go at recreating the pst file and moving my valued entries across. (I didn't get any duplication when I did it with my Calendar so presumably I made a mistake when I did my Contacts.)
    To answer your questions:
    1. yes my outlook.pst is set as an address book although I cannot change it - the option is set on but greyed out.
    2. Yes I am using internet mail only mode.
    3. I still am unclear what you mean by "deleting the profile". I would appreciate any clarification you can offer. As I said in my previous I cannot find any "profile" as a folder or file. Do you just mean the settings for my connection?
    I'll let you know how I get on. It will take a day or so. Does this thread get dropped based on when I started or based on the latest postings?
    Cheers, Ken.
    PS Are you in the US or elsewhere? I'm thinking about the timing of our responses. I am in Melbourne, Australia.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

go into control panel and remove your account from the mail applet. recreate it using the new pst only.