Lounger
    Thanks

Can't run Word macros in Word 2010 with a Word 2010/2013 machine

Hi everyone,

My company just got a bunch of new laptops which had Office 2013 pre-installed. Our largest client has a toolbar .dot file we use and they won't support it on 2013. We asked IT to uninstall 2013 and just install 2010 but for whatever reason they refused and instead have installed 2010 in addition to 2013.

Whenever we use Word 2010 to open a document that has the .dot file attached we get error messages saying that macro functionality has been disabled (see the two attachments to this post; one is a screen shot of the error and the other is the complete text). I've enabled all macros in Word 2010 and added the location of the .dot to my trusted locations but I'm still getting the error. I've also tried attaching a .dotm template; same error. Finally, I tried just running the VBA Editor on a blank document from within Word 2010 but had no luck; I get the error message there as well.

I'm guessing that because IT installed Word 2010 after 2013 was already there 2010 doesn't have access to the VBA model, but I'm hoping I'm wrong and there's a way around this problem.

Thanks in advance for your help.

P.S. We currently have four of these laptops deployed. Two of them aren't getting the error; two of them are. IT says they followed the same installation process on all four, but I'm highly skeptical.

Beej
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by ItsjustBeej; 2014-10-21 at 16:23.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    In a multi-version Office setup, you can't just install Office 2010 on top of Office 2013. Office 2013 should be uninstalled before office 2010 is installed. Office 2013 can then be reinstalled, if needs be. See: http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/2784668
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thanks
    This also has to do with trusted locations/templates. I regularly use .dot templates with toolbars in Word 2013 without a problem, so long as the template is in a trusted location. In some instances, I duplicate templates to a new location with different versions. In most instances, I simply point to the folder containing the templates and mark it as a trusted location in each Word version.

I currently have Word 97, 2003, 2007, 2010, and 2013 operating on this computer, frequently I have more than one version open at the same time. None of the versions share the normal template, though. Many share other global templates.

We are now 7+ years into the .dotm world. I do not know how much longer Microsoft Word will support the older document/template formats. I suspect, though, that it will be a long time.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin