New Lounger
    Thanks

Unable to upgrade Windows 8 to 8.1

After settling in after moving, I have finally turned my desktop back on (after almost 2 years using only a laptop with Windows 7). Windows 8 is installed on the desktop, so I thought to upgrade to 8.1. However, the automatic updates won't do it, nor is it displayed in the App Store.

I ran the 8.1 troubleshooter, and it reported my system did not meet minimum display resolution requirements. I have a Dell U2711 with 2560x1440 resolution, and Windows says that is the resolution, so not meeting minimum display requirements not a correct analysis! I do have only one display defined. I am using the Intel onchip graphics on a Core i7 processor, and do not have a separate video card.

I'd appreciate any suggestions about how to solve this problem.

I'm tempted to replace the C: drive and just reinstall Windows 7. (But the sheer number of installed applications makes that a time consuming chore.)

Thanks for any suggestions!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Have you tried lowering your display resolution, say to 1920xXXXX?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Make sure all your Windows Updates are installed. Some of them need to be installed before the Windows 8.1 update is offered in the store.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had tried reducing the display resolution, but that didn't help. Thinking more about your suggestion, I then tried reducing the display resolution in the Intel HD graphics driver. That seemed to take care of the problem. At least that was easier than attaching a different monitor.

Thanks!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Scharf View Post
    I had tried reducing the display resolution, but that didn't help. Thinking more about your suggestion, I then tried reducing the display resolution in the Intel HD graphics driver. That seemed to take care of the problem. At least that was easier than attaching a different monitor.

Thanks!
    I am glad that worked .
    Rui
    -------
    R4