Thread: Build 9860 woes

Thanks

Build 9860 woes

The update took me over 30 minutes after the download. When I tried a restart after it finished, I found it destroyed my Windows 7/Windows 10 dual boot and would not boot into Windows 10. Had to use the kill boot 3 times trick to get into the recovery screen. After running recovery and some finagling, I managed to single boot into windows 10 again. Ran Easy BCD and deleted Windows 7 from the dual boot and added it back in again and now dual boot worked again. I the found may screen in Windows 10 had garbled text. Found as Drew mentioned that you need to run Windows Update (not Preview Builds) to pick up KB3008956. It was really tricky getting it to run as the text in Update and Recovery was garbled. After running Windows Update, I'm finally back to some semblance of normal. The Windows 10 preview is the shakiest Windows Beta (Alpha?) I've experienced. Microsoft is trying to speed up releases but they may be going too fast.

Jerry

Thanks
    I had something similar happen to me as well...I ended up doing a refresh and then the windows update and all is well.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    The text in Recovery and Backup and succeeding pages on my Build 9860 also had randomly missing characters plus on the buttons and the KB3008957 and KB2267602 I installed this morning fixed it.

Thanks
    I also saw a post that indicated if you are having trouble with a dual boot, to go into:
    Control Panel > System > Advanced System Settings > Advanced tab >Start Up and Recovery Settings Button
    Make the old operating system (Windows 7/8/8.1) the default.

I'll have to try that on the next build if the issue reoccurs.

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    I also saw a post that indicated if you are having trouble with a dual boot, to go into:
    Control Panel > System > Advanced System Settings > Advanced tab >Start Up and Recovery Settings Button
    Make the old operating system (Windows 7/8/8.1) the default.

I'll have to try that on the next build if the issue reoccurs.

Jerry
    I upgraded to 9860 yesterday without any problems (after the upgrade completed I rebooted to Win7 then back to Win10, no worries).
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Woe: can't change Windows Update settings

When I go to Control Panel/Windows Update/Change Settings there is a message across the upper part of the dialog saying: "Some settings are managed by your system administrator" and a link "More information". If I click the "More information" link a "Help"? window opens with a message "cannot access 'More information'!!!

I seem to remember struggling with this nonsense after Vista was released, and that it wasn't really fixed until SP2 was released.

My Win10 TP is set up with one "Administrator" user account only (local account login - don't need to login using "Micro$oft Account").

Screenshot:
    W10_WU.jpg

Can't change setting to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them" (the combobox is disabled ["greyed out"]).
    Last edited by Coochin; 2014-10-23 at 23:07. Reason: more info
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Isn't M$ your administrator for that purpose in 10TP?

I.E. updates must be installed automatically:

Windows Update will be set to automatically install important updates as they become available. You won’t be able to turn off automatic updates in Windows Technical Preview.
    Before you install Windows Technical Preview: Updates and feedback

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Isn't M$ your administrator for that purpose in 10TP?
    Apparently so. Well "beggars can't be choosers", I'll just have to put up with it.