Lounger
    Thanks

Startup delay with Office programs (2002)

I had been running Office XP successfully for a while on an upgraded (from win2K) WinXP installation when, for a number of reasons, I decided to do a clean install of WinXP/Office XP.

Since that time, both Word and Excel have been very slow to start up. Excel is clearly installing some 'option' each time it starts, because it pops up a dilaog box saying "Installing: Microsoft Excel Feature". Word may be doing the same thing, but doesn't appear at all, only popping up when you're starting to think that nothing is going to happen. Other Office apps such as Access and Powerpoint start immediately, as normal.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be going on?

Thanks,

Mike Jones

Thanks

Re: Startup delay with Office programs (2002)

Is there any difference in the way the two sets of applications start up - e.g. slow ones accessing network templates or start-up directories?.
    The dialog box may be a red-herring - it just happens to pop it up as it hits whatever is causing the delay.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Leif.

No, although the machine is part of a domain, everything in the Office environment is stored locally and, as I said, it worked fine before the latest installation.

The 'installing' thing is strange, though. I installed from CD (rather than network), but it never asks for the CD when it appears to be installing. Although it was a custom installation, I've done a lot of them and I'm fairly sure I didn't choose any different options this time.

Mike

Lounger
    Thanks

Just a follow-up - I just started Word, unusually, with nothing else open, so I could see that a dialog box saying "Preparing to install" appeared briefly. It looks as though this is certainly doing the same thing as Excel, therefore. Presumably this dialog doesn't make it to the top when other things are running. (I've noticed this with other programs under WinXP.)

Mike

Thanks

How clean an install was your clean install?
    The only thing I can find at the moment is where you have multiple versions of Office or have upgraded...

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-GB;q290576&GSSNB=1>OFFXP: Running Multiple Versions of Microsoft Office (Q290576)</A>

Lounger
    Thanks

You may have a point. The WinXP installation was squeaky clean - new partition etc - so there would definitely not have been anything in the registry.

I didn't uninstall Office before I did that, however, and re-installed into the same directory, so that may be confusing it. I suppose the next thing to do is to uninstall Office and re-install it (again! - if I had a pound ...). Do you know if there's an 'Office Cleaner' for the 2002 version, to get rid of all the things that the uninstall forgets?

Mike

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

How were you logged into winxp when you installed office? There are some issues about the neverending installer on NT/XP that i think were fixed in SP1... but you'll need to read the release notes to be sure. I thought there was a KB on the problem too, but can't find it this morning. Check your installer logs and see if they give you any clues as to why it's running.

Q290301 - clean up utility
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q290/3/01.asp>http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/ar...s/q290/3/01.asp</A>

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Also: sometimes it's better to install from Control Panel | Add or Remove Programs | Add New Program, rather then CD Autostart. This way (through Control Panel) helps to install application for All Users, not for Administrator or Current User.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Mary.

I was logged in as Administrator, so I don't think that was the problem.

I downloaded the installer cleanup utility and ran it to see what was there, and there was no mention of Office at all, so perhaps it's not surprising that it's getting confused (but why only on Word and Excel, I wonder?).

You mentioned installer logs, but I can't find them and can't remember where they are normally located. Can you help?

You also mentioned SP1 - for what, XP, 2002? I didn't know there was one for either yet.

Thanks agian,

Mike

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

logs should be in the temp folder under my documents and settings path -
    Cocuments and SettingsmjrLocal SettingsTemp

office xp has SP1 coming out sometime today or tomorrow.

Lounger
    Thanks

Just a note to say that, after uninstalling and re-installing, all is now working normally.

Thanks again to those who responded.

Mike