Thread: USB Hub

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

USB Hub

I am thinking about getting a usb hub. I plan to connect my keyboard/Logitech mouse to the hub. I would like to know if I can also connect my DVD player to the hub and still get good playback from the DVD player.

Thank you,

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    That all depends on the USB hub, DVD player and the computer. You've not provided sufficient details for anyone to provide informed advice. The mouse and keyboard are unlikely to have a measurable impact on performance.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Be sure to get a Self-Powered version, lessens the power drain from the USB ports on the computer. Only issue I've seen with a USB 3.0 port was a printer that lost communication part way through the printing job, put it in a USB 2.0 port and problem went away.

Thanks
    Get a SATA DVD/CD ROM device and get rid of the USB one.
    A USB type DVD/CD ROM will always be a very distant second when it comes to speed and performance.

If you're not willing to do the above then make sure your DVD is isolated to it's own USB controller hub.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2014-10-23 at 15:35.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    A USB type DVD/CD ROM will always be a very distant second when it comes to speed and performance.
    Clint
    Why is that?
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    That should be obvious as SATA IS far faster than USB.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    That should be obvious as SATA IS far faster than USB.
    That depends on which SATA vs which USB. Furthermore, USB has far broader support, so you're more likely to be able to connect a USB device to a tablet PC or Notebook, for example. Any decent USB hub should be more than sufficient for the OP's needs, besides which, it appears he already has the DVD player. So why
    Get a SATA DVD/CD ROM device and get rid of the USB one
    when it costs more, is less portable and provides only theoretical advantages for DVD playing?
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    the answer is maybe

i would try putting the mouse keyboard and maybe a flash drive occasionally on the expansion from a usb2

i would tend to get a usb2 dvd player and put that on a usb 3 port separately

but it really depends on your specific pc

try asking the manufacturer or their help forum about it to be sure
    this has probably been answered many times before

Quote Originally Posted by moon1130 View Post
    I am thinking about getting a usb hub. I plan to connect my keyboard/Logitech mouse to the hub. I would like to know if I can also connect my DVD player to the hub and still get good playback from the DVD player.

Thank you,

Thanks
    I own a powered usb hub. I noticed that it is better to leave external CD/DVD player/writers on the mb usb port. I haven't tried a separate hub for the CD/DVD player/writer.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/