Thanks

Audio Problems, (System Sounds OK, apps have no sound)

SUMMARY:
    No audio from Apps (like Windows Media Player and VLC Player) but System sounds OK (normal Windows tones and browser YouTube sounds.

BACKGROUND:
    My old system died, (see SYSTEM COMPONENTS below), and I replaced the Motherboard/CPU/RAM, but reused the old graphics board. Then a new (not upgrade) Windows 8.1 was installed.
    (Note: In the previous system, all audio/sounds worked fine, so it's not an audio problem with the re-used graphics card or it's connections/cabling).

= = = = = = = = = =
    Win8.1 DIAGNOSTICS:
    Device Manager shows two sound controllers, (no yellow “!”):
    “High Definition Audio Device” &
    “Realtek High Definition Audio”
    (I think one is for the standard audio output, and the other for HDMI audio output, but I don't remember which is which).
    I uninstalled both drivers, and within seconds the PC automatically detected New Hardware and automatically re-installed them, but the audio problem still persists.

= = = = = = = = = =
    System Tray has two audio icons shown:
    = = = = = = = = = =
    1) “Realtek HD Audio Manager”
    -- Right-click on the Audio Manager to configure: It’s speaker configuration test button plays the appropriate tones to each stereo speaker.
    -- Info screen shows DirectX version 11.0
    -- -- Audio Controller HD Audio
    -- -- Audio Codec ALC1150

2) "Volume", right-click shows selections:
    -- Volume Mixer
    -- -- Devices
    -- -- -- Speakers

-- Applications
    -- -- System Sounds
    -- -- Firefox
    (clicking on volume adjustment slider makes the appropriate tone to the speakers).
    xx When I play a media file with VLC Player, it plays, but without sound. When I play the same file with Windows Media Player, it shows up in the Volume Mixer display as an Application. When I use Firefox to play a YouTube (via Flash) a second Firefox app shows up, the audio plays fine)

-- Sound dialog:
    -- -- Playback Tab shows:
    -- -- -- Digital Audio (HDMI) "not plugged in" and grayed out
    -- -- -- Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio) "Default Device"
    -- -- -- Realtek HD Audio 2nd output (Realtek High Definition Audio) "not plugged in" and grayed out
    -- -- Recording, Sounds, and Communication Tabs should be irrelevant, (except to note that I have communications set to "do nothing")
    = = = = = = = = = =

Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted!

SYSTEM COMPONENTS:
    Home-assembled PC:
    -- new install, not upgrade, into a system with a long-used Win7 install that had crashed, was unbootable, and not repairable, (probably due to HDD drivers corrupted or such, precluding any repair or re-install).
    Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 + Intel i7-4790K CPU + 8 GB RAM
    -- Audio Plugs used: (Line-out to Speakers)
    Graphics Card: VisionTek Radeon HD5670, with OS set for 2 displays configured "Extended Desktop" (shared side-by-side), connected via:
    -- VGA out: connected to LCD monitor
    -- Digital out: via Digital-2-HDMI converter plug then to TV via HDMI cable
    -- HDMI connection (unused)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you tried disabling one of the devices?

Thanks
    thanks for the suggestion. Yes, I've disable one, and then another. Also worked through the different scenarios of which is designated "Default Device"

I'm pretty bummed. I had a Win7 system with the AV running fine, and when I upgraded to Win8.1, not only does it not work the same, when using the same graphics card, connections, and cabling, but the instructions for configuring the audio and/or video are even more obtuse in 8.1 that they were in 7.