3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Not able to access my files. (2000)

I had a new computer installed. Our outside tech people loaded the software, copied files, etc. I use FrontPage to create and edit our company Intranet. Since getting the new computer 3 days ago I have been unable to access any of my files! The Intranet is saved on a local network. It is working fine, no problem viewing it. But when I open FrontPage and try to access the main Intranet web folder I receive this message: "The server timed out. The current request did not complete successfully."
    If I open FrontPage and try to open a particular file (F:Intranetchallengehtm) I receive this message: The file F:Intranetchallengehtm is not found. This is true for any file I try to open. All of the files "seem' to be there but I can't open anything.
    I contacted the tech person who installed my computer he had me right click on the Internet Explorer icon and choose Properties. Click the Connections tab and Select the LAN Settings button. If the box was checked for using a Proxy Server, uncheck and check the box that said Automatically detect settings. I did all of that and nothing worked.
    So now I've come to you guys! You have yet to fail me with any problem I've had. Thanks in advance for your help!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Not able to access my files. (2000)

Hi
    First basic question :
    F:Intranetchallengehtm : is this accurate? It is not a file path, but a folder path - to a folder called HTM. Should that be ...challenge.htm I wonder?

Second basic question : are you logged on as Administrator (not just as a user with admin privileges?)

Rgds

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

1st Q - My mistake in typing - it is F:Intranetchallenge.htm
    2nd Q - I assume I'm logged on as a user. I don't really know. How do I check? I was using FP with no problems before getting this new computer. I don't think I had admin privileges then. Evidently something has been left undone or been changed from my old computer.
    Thanks for your help!

Thanks

Is your intranet on a web server or is it a disk based web?
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Catharine, the intranet is on a server.

Thanks

Do you have another computer you can try to connect from?
    Can you get to the files using windows explorer?
    I'm just trying to isolate where the problem is coming from.

Cheers
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

FP has only been loaded on my computer. I can use Explorer to access the files but when I try and edit them using FP I receive this message: "Cannot load 'C:Program FilesCommon FilesMicrosoft SharedWeb Server Extensions40binfp4Awel.dll'.
    I should tell you since making my original post I have done a detect & repair in Word because of some problems I was having with my printer since the new computer was installed. Since then, the above message is the one I am receiving, whether I open FP and try to access a file from there or whether I use Explorer to open a file and then try to edit. I have looked at a MS kb article but am at a standstill because I don't have the CD to run a detect and repair from FP. I am waiting on our tech support person to stop by the office with the CD. Unless you can tell me something else to try I guess I need to put this post on hold. It has been over a week now that I have had this problem and I am getting desperate for a solution! Thanks!