New Lounger
    Thanks

If Mergefield = "* & *"

We use merges from our donor database to produce donor pledge cards. On the pledge cards I want to indicate if the record is a joint account or not. The only indication I have the record is a joint account is the presence of an "&" in a specific field. Is there a way I can do this? I have tried many different variations of: { IF { MERGEFIELD AccountName } = “ * & * ” “Joint Account” “Not Joint” } and have got no where. Any help would be so appreciated!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Jeb,

You probably want something along the line of:
    { IF { instr(MERGEFIELD AccountName, "&") } > 0, “Joint Account” “Not Joint” }

I'm not sure of the exact syntax but using * which is a wildcard is probably what is causing your current problems. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for getting back to me. I am not familiar with the INSTR command. When I entered the example you gave me, with properly created braces, it didn't work.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Word fields have no INSTR function, so it's not surprising it doesn't work...

As for detecting the &, you can only do that by testing whether it occurs at a known location in the string, by using as many ? characters as you need before or after it, in conjunction with * on the other side of the wildcard test. You cannot use * on both sides of the test. So, if you know the & could occur anywhere between the 10th & 15th characters, inclusive, you could use six tests, each coded along the lines of:
    {IF{MERGEFIELD AccountName} = "?????????&*" "Joint"}
    {IF{MERGEFIELD AccountName} = "??????????&*" "Joint"}
    {IF{MERGEFIELD AccountName} = "???????????&*" "Joint"}
    etc.
    A brute-force method is your only option.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Paul,

Can you use a UDF in a Word Merge Field? If so you could do the test there and then just test for True or False or just return the desired text.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    No. UDFs are VBA. Mergefields are fields. Mergefields cannot run VBA. The only fields that can call a VBA process are MacroButton fields, and they require someone to double-click them - something that's not going to happen during a mailmerge.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by macropod View Post
    Word fields have no INSTR function, so it's not surprising it doesn't work...

As for detecting the &, you can only do that by testing whether it occurs at a known location in the string, by using as many ? characters as you need before or after it, in conjunction with * on the other side of the wildcard test. You cannot use * on both sides of the test. So, if you know the & could occur anywhere between the 10th & 15th characters, inclusive, you could use six tests, each coded along the lines of:
    {IF{MERGEFIELD AccountName} = "?????????&*" "Joint"}
    {IF{MERGEFIELD AccountName} = "??????????&*" "Joint"}
    {IF{MERGEFIELD AccountName} = "???????????&*" "Joint"}
    etc.
    A brute-force method is your only option.
    Your idea worked well. Thank you. I know approximately where to find the & within a few characters.