but nothing makes ff33 work

tried deleting the newer ff but it keeps coming back like a zombie
    no way to get rid of it
    delete a folder and it looks gone
    but comes back next boot

only clue i have is that i had installed chrome before the new ff
    they do not seem to play nice together at all but it could be the ff33 bugs

QUESTIONS
    how can i rip out the current ff by the roots and put a wooden stake in its heart and shoot it with a silver bullet to totally get rid of it

is there an old ff version that will run on xp pro sp3
    i had heard there was one that did but newer ones would not
    later i was told they all run
    but clearly ff33 does NOT run so that was incorrect

i really do want a working version of ff because it is so much easier and faster than chrome

any and all suggestions for fixing this ff problem and getting a working version is much appreciated.
    thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    From what I've read, FF v33.0 should work in XP.

Try FF in its Safe Mode https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...x-in-safe-mode

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    To avoid a problem with FF 31 and 32 I had to go back to 30. However, 33 seems to have fixed my problem. I try to get Offline installers so I don't later have to depend upon an Internet connection.
    https://www.google.com/search?site=&....0.VRjJFkySy9w

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It works fine on my XP. But if it gets you out of a jam, all previous versions are always available on the Mozilla ftp site.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    woulda coulda shoulda

what is worse is they offered no other version
    and the web site i got it to use with
    only supports 32.x

Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    From what I've read, FF v33.0 should work in XP.

Try FF in its Safe Mode https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...x-in-safe-mode

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks

i did not find that when i googled and went to the dl link i found
    then saw no other options on that page to do anything else

Quote Originally Posted by tonyl View Post
    It works fine on my XP. But if it gets you out of a jam, all previous versions are always available on the Mozilla ftp site.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla....efox/releases/
    You have to scroll to the version desired, shows as a Folder which means clicking on it gets subFolders to navigate to reach the actual file desired. This would be the path to get the last 30.x version:
    https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla....9/win32/en-US/

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

speedball (2014-11-06)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks

but how do i get ALL the files needed for a version and get them installed ?

downloading single files does not seem to be the best solution

they had a single place to download and install v33
    i recall doing that for previous versions before

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    downloading single files does not seem to be the best solution
    It is the best way and maybe the only way.

they had a single place to download and install v33
    i recall doing that for previous versions before
    That is probably true but that site most likely has only the latest available.

Downloading from the links I listed has all the files necessary for installing a particular version in a single file, you just have to choose the version you want when you have need for an earlier version which usually is no longer supported by the publisher. Nearly all downloadable program installations do it that way. In most cases the downloaded file also contains the installation routine, done that way ensure the program works as desired. Some programs are also downloadable as compressed .zip files but do contain all the necessary program files. It's the way computing has been for several years.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    All I noticed was the title of this thread. Lots of (current) things don't work on XP. Tons of stuff is not made for XP (anymore). Why? How about why should it be? Just put XP out to pasture where it belongs. It's life is over!!!! Just give it a nice burial, raise a glass & toast it adieu & just let it go, it has served its time, had a good life, now, leave it @ that & move on! Geeesh, already!!

And, truthfully, not only is, still using it silly, it's downright dangerous.

Excuse me for being blunt but, seriously. Enough of trying to ride a dinosaur.

Cheers,
    Drew

Thanks
    Drew, there could be several reasons why people (and businesses) hang on to XP - chief among them is some programs won't run on an OS later than XP. For others, it does what they need and they don't have the free cash or the time and effort to upgrade. I have a business client that keeps an XP machine around because the payroll program they use only runs on XP and the upgraded version is prohibitively expensive.

Judge not or yee too shall be judged.

Jerry
    Last edited by jwitalka; 2014-11-06 at 19:39.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Yes, I am aware compatibility reasons are cited. Bit challenging getting beyond it all, for now. So many, don't take much stock in the fact that there are some good reasons to leave XP and some stay w/ it 'just cus they like it' or have heard newer things are weird or terrible. Yes, it can be a dilemma. On the other hand have to accept for some Enterprise environments it's no so black & white.

Point taken.

Cheers,
    Drew

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My business XP Pro -- yes, another case of how prohibitively expensive and difficult it would be to replace the specialized software -- is on the ESR (Extended Support Release) channel for Firefox, created for business/enterprise situations. There is an overview of ESR here: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo...nizations/faq/ Essentially, they focus on stable releases addressing primarily security issues, rather than on the latest and greatest features.

You can find the latest ESR version here, which is a single installation file: ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/re...r/win32/en-US/ -- found by scrolling down through all of the listings on the main releases page (ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/) to the last ESR listing. Once you've installed an ESR release, then Firefox will automatically look only for ESR releases in the future.

My Win7 runs the "normal" Firefox, which often requires some fiddling (and/or add-ons) to deal with the newest look they've adopted. My XP just plugs along nicely with the stable ESR updates.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Would you believe a WinXP computer rehabbed only for the advantage of the BIOS supporting both the A: and B: floppy drives, either 2 x 3.5" or one 3.5" and one 5.25" or in my case a combination of both sizes in one drive? Some people still have the disks and either want to save the data or just see what it is before throwing away. Most computers of the last couple of years have no support for floppy drives except for the 3.5" USB type and there is no 5.25" USB drive. Fortunately I never had to deal with the 8" floppies.

Thanks
    some stay w/ it 'just cus they like it'
    That's a good enough reason for me. I'm willing to accept that what works for me isn't necessarily what works for everyone else. The predicted XP catastrophe hasn't materialized as far as I can see. Just keep your AV/anti malware up to date, exercise good browsing habits, and there is no reason to run out and buy new hardware (most XP boxes won't run Windows 7 and above) as long as you're happy with what you've got.

Jerry

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast