5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Linked file usage (Excel 97 SR2)

I am designing a payroll worksheet that will be used by a number of clerks who will enter the hours worked by all employees. The main sheet contains a column that looks up the payment rates for each employee, in an external table on a separate sheet in a separate file, and then uses the rate to calculate the payment amount for each employee.

I want the main recording/calculating sheet to work whether or not the external table is present. That way, on the paymaster's computer, where the separate file containing the sheet with the rates table is kept, when the paymaster views the main sheet, everything can be seen -- i.e. the data that the clerks enter on it, and the rates that the main sheet looks up in the external table, and the payment amounts that the main sheet calculates using the rates that it looks up. But on the clerks' computer, which doesn't have a copy of the separate file containing the sheet with the rates table, when the clerks view the main sheet, they can only see the data that they enter, since the separate file containing the sheet with the rates table, which the main sheet tries to look up, is not present.

It doesn't matter whether the clerks see zeroes or error codes in the rate and amount columns, but at the moment I can't get the main sheet to open at all unless the separate file containing the sheet with the rates table is also present. How can I do this -- or is there another way to do what I want (The rates could be kept in a sheet in the *same* file as the main sheet, with a table full of zeroes that the paymaster could paste the actual rates over when required, but that method would be awkward and unreliable.)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Linked file usage (Excel 97 SR2)

Have you tried applying some of the material mentioned in <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=xl&Number=89263&page=0&view =collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=>this</A> thread?

HTH
    Gre