New Lounger
    Thanks

Updating Win 8 to 8.1

I have an OEM version of Win 8.0, apparently meaning no free support from MS. Hopefully I can get answers/help here.

1. I only have 5GB/month wireless service. The Win 8.1 download seems to be close to 4GB. That means I would have to pay $40 ($10/GB) for the d/l, since I use most of the 5GB allowance each month (that includes the MS updates for this machine plus my wife's Win 7 machine). That doesn't feel like a free update . Are there any other means of obtaining the update, like the old XP SP3 CD?

2. MS will end support for 8.0 in Jan 2015. Does that include security updates/hot fixes?

3. Will I have to do this dance again with Win 10 in the near future?

My laptop is running like my old Win XP-SP3 computer, except it is remarkably stable. I have a perfectly good 6-year-old HP AIO printer, plus a Canon CanoScan, plus a borrowed Nikon CoolScan. Plus many older apps that work perfectly and don't need any updating, and I'd be really cranky if they were broken by the update. And then there's the matter of downloading updated drivers with my limited bandwidth (and patience . )

I suspect there's no good response to any of the above, but I would be interested in any advice and/or insights that might help me decide what to do.

Thanks in advance.

--George

Thanks
    1. I only have 5GB/month wireless service. The Win 8.1 download seems to be close to 4GB. That means I would have to pay $40 ($10/GB) for the d/l, since I use most of the 5GB allowance each month (that includes the MS updates for this machine plus my wife's Win 7 machine). That doesn't feel like a free update . Are there any other means of obtaining the update, like the old XP SP3 CD?
    That's a pathetic situation to be in, but unless the above internet situation changes, you'll have content with what you've got.
    You could also take the laptop to a free wifi hotspot and do the deed there, but I wouldn't do anything without a solid backup first.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    That's a pathetic situation to be in...
    Ya think? I was actually considering it to be beyond pathetic.

I'm far too paranoid to do anything relatively important over an open wifi connection.

--George

Thanks
    I'm far too paranoid to do anything relatively important over an open wifi connection.

--George
    You should be fine considering that will be all you're doing and you choose a decent and reasonably trustworthy location.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    That doesn't feel like a free update
    It is free, at least as far as Microsoft is concerned. They haven't much control over what an ISP/Internet Service Provider charges.

I'd try find an acquaintance/friend/relative who has a fast connection with an available Ethernet port on their Router and plug in, start the download then treat them to Lunch or Dinner.

Thanks
    I'd try find an acquaintance/friend/relative who has a fast connection with an available Ethernet port on their Router and plug in, start the download then treat them to Lunch or Dinner.
    That would be ideal.
    Just don't forget about the "backing up" part I mentioned earlier.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build:

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by G.B.Davis View Post
    2. MS will end support for 8.0 in Jan 2015. Does that include security updates/hot fixes?
    Yes, but it's Jan 2016:

With the General Availability of Windows 8.1, customers on Windows 8 have 2 years, until January 12, 2016, to move to Windows 8.1 in order to remain supported.
    http://support2.microsoft.com/gp/lif...-windows81-faq

Microsoft's support lifecycle policy treats Windows 8.1 similarly to previous Windows service packs: it is part of Windows 8's support lifecycle, and upgrading to 8.1 is required to maintain access to mainstream support and Windows updates after January 12, 2016.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows...raded_versions

Quote Originally Posted by G.B.Davis View Post
    3. Will I have to do this dance again with Win 10 in the near future?
    Probably, but I don't think anyone really knows how it will be released yet.

Bruce

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you to all who responded. I'm going to have to give this some more thought.

I still have concerns about my installed apps; I don't use MS office products, never have. I'll have to research how well they're handled (or mis-handled) by the upgrade. (I have data/info/notes/files I've been collecting since 1988, finally getting it organized.)

The same with my peripherals. Right after I got this computer, I had to update my H-P AIO printer drivers, which took several frustrating hours on one day, then a few more about a week later. That was 14 months ago, I'm a lot less patient these days. I don't look forward to going through that again.

My internet connection is thru a mobile hot-spot, as we travel a lot, and I don't need to worry as much about finding even a sketchy internet connection; it also works with my Nexus 10 for GPS (almost 20K miles, with only a couple of mis-directs ).

I'll be visiting someone with a decent connection shortly after thanksgiving, someone who I wouldn't mind imposing on. I'll have to make my decision by then.

I'm only slightly relieved by my error with the 8.0 cut-off date. Hopefully the Win 10 rollout will be clearer (to me) by then, and I can decide between updating this machine or just going with new. Or cross over to the dark side and go with Apple!

Thanks again.

--George

p.s.-- Backups, yes. I learned that lesson long ago. A couple of times.