Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

How Much Security is Too Much?

Trying out W8.1 Pro on my dual boot system. W7 Ultimate x64 is primary. I don't use my system for anything exotic. In addition to the everyday chores, I use it extensively to view videos via three ethernet wired media players installed in my living room and two bedrooms. It took me a while but I was able to get Windows 7 security requirements tamed and it permits me to view videos from my shared drive without having to deal with the DREADED "NetUser ID & Net Password" requirement. Simply clicking on "Workgroup/My Computer on my media players gives me a "Logon Successful" message and I'm off to the races.

W8.1 Pro is another matter. After three weeks of trying every conceivable security setting, workarounds and suggestions from other forums, I have surrendered. It beat me. No matter what I did to get a "Logon Successful" message after going through the "NetUser ID & Net Password" input, no happiness. And yes, I tried every possible combination of ID and password unsuccessfully. Nothing was able to get around it. I don't use HOMEGROUP simply becaue this is the only computer connected. Ideal would be as I have with Windows 7....no "NetUser ID & Net Password" screen.

There are dozens of others experiencing the same problem. Just Google "NetUser ID & Net Password" .

So, here I am. Before I dump W8.1 Pro and stay with W7 forever, any ideas anybody/Microsoft? Suggest something and I'll try if I haven't already tried it.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    What exactly do you have problems with? Connecting from which OS to which OS?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not trying to connect to another OS. What I'm trying to do is view videos on my media player which is Ethernet wired to my router. On my media player using Windows 7, I select Network/WORKGROUP/MyComputer and I get a logon successful message and my shared drive appears. Not so with W8. I always get a log in screen asking for a user ID and password and there is no combination it will accept. I don't need fancy security for this. All I want is W8 to match what I get for W7, no log on screen. If W7 can do it, why can't W8?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Your media player runs what?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Your media player runs what?
    The media player doesn't run anything and simply plays videos. W7 essentially runs it. W7 computer connected to router and media player Ethernet wired to router. Works fine on W7, not so on W8.

Opening my media player with W7 active, a screen appears giving me the option to connect to my network/workgroup/"my computer" and result is Logon Successful and my shared drive appears. No log on screen with W7.

W8 gives me the same options but network/workgroup/"my computer" always opens a log on screen that will not accept any combination of ID and password. Please understand I have exhausted all combinations. All I'm asking for is W8 to match W7's bypassing the log on screen.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Buzz,

You don't mention it but are you using a Microsoft Account or Local Account for your logon. If you're NOT using a Local Account you need to switch to it and I'm pretty sure your problems will disappear. I had the same problem when I upgraded trying to attach to my WD MYBOOK LIVE. No way was it going to accept an email address for an userid! See Thread Here.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Buzz,

You don't mention it but are you using a Microsoft Account or Local Account for your logon. If you're NOT using a Local Account you need to switch to it and I'm pretty sure your problems will disappear. I had the same problem when I upgraded trying to attach to my WD MYBOOK LIVE. No way was it going to accept an email address for an userid! See Thread Here.

HTH
    Thanks for your reply. Windows 8.1 new account creation refers to a "standard account". I couldn't find anything to setup a "local account". Have I missed something? In any event, I did create a standard account and logged on to it. Same problem....log in screen. I am relatively new to W8 therefore I could be doing something wrong.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Buzz,

You can read about the Pros/Cons of Microsoft Account vs Local Account in this TechRepublic article.

On the other hand either of those logins can be for a Administrator or Standard Access Privileges. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzmag View Post
    There are dozens of others experiencing the same problem. Just Google "NetUser ID & Net Password" .
    The only hits I get are you asking the same question:

network user id & network password

Net User ID & Net Password

I have an issue with the WiFi enabled Seagate GoFlex TV Media Player asking for a net user Id and a password.

Where are all the others?

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2014-10-24 at 13:03.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Look a bit harder Bruce. Here's ten I found in two minutes. I can find ten more if you care to see them. Many include multiple posts from different people. A solution would have been preferable to your comment. This is a help board isn't it? I came here for help not sarcasm. Of course you found mine. Why else would I be asking?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...d+and+password

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1648513

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=60349

http://superuser.com/questions/49577...s-in-windows-8

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/...ct-server.html

https://social.technet.microsoft.com...tpronetworking

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-s...-password.html

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...1-33eb9dc1e4af

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-6644_102...us-o-play-air/

http://www.patriotmemory.com/forums/...-Realtek_guest
    Last edited by buzzmag; 2014-10-24 at 14:53.

Thanks
    The media player doesn't run anything and simply plays videos. W7 essentially runs it.
    Your media player has to have some rudimentary OS (probably Linux) in order to connect via Ethernet. What is the brand of the media player?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Two are Seagate GoTV and the third is a Micca EP350G. I didn't know that they had any form of OS.

Thanks
    The OS is usually embedded, and usually some Linux derivative, but there has to be an OS to be able to read and interpret the TCP/IP stack, otherwise they couldn't connect via Ethernet (or WiFi, for that matter). Try searching the manufacturers' sites for solutions to your problems RE Windows 8.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    The OS is usually embedded, and usually some Linux derivative, but there has to be an OS to be able to read and interpret the TCP/IP stack, otherwise they couldn't connect via Ethernet (or WiFi, for that matter). Try searching the manufacturers' sites for solutions to your problems RE Windows 8.
    Will do.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Look a bit harder Bruce. Here's ten I found in two minutes. I can find ten more if you care to see them. Many include multiple posts from different people. A solution would have been preferable to your comment. This is a help board isn't it? I came here for help not sarcasm. Of course you found mine. Why else would I be asking?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...d+and+password
    Those links, and three of the others you provided, have nothing to do with your issue.

You provided a very specific search term (four times) and invited us to Google it to see "dozens of others experiencing the same problem". Nothing sarcastic about pointing out that it didn't work as you advertised it. We could not have expected it to find only three other places where you had posted an identical copy-and-pasted question around the same time. Such practices are contrary to the rules of this forum and most others:

14. Avoid cross-posting into more than one forum or community
    Cross-posting is the posting of the same or nearly the same message on more than one forum or community (for example, posting the same message in both the Database forum and the Spreadsheets forum or posting in the Windows Secrets Lounge and Microsoft Answers Community). To avoid this, choose the one forum or community that is the most appropriate and post your message there. Most members watch for new threads in several forums and communities.

We strongly discourage posting in more than one community. If you must post in more than one community please observe the tips in the "How to Post and When to Cross-Post" section at A message to cross posters. Cross posting to multiple communities without appropriate links will be grounds for temporary suspension of privileges. Repeated offenses will be grounds for a permanent ban.

"Of course you found mine. Why else would I be asking?" makes no sense.

I can't find any product called Seagate GoTV. Is it Seagate GoFlex TV?

I can't find any product called Micca EP350G. Is it Micca EP350 G2?

Net User ID seems specific to media players.

Have you contacted Seagate or Micca?

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2014-10-25 at 10:55.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast