New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 10 Preview

Can this be installed on a bare drive? I have tried finding the answer elsewhere to no avail. I'm sure I should have come here first. Thanks in advance.

Mike from Canada

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Yes. If testing on a spare box, for example... yes, absolutely.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Windows 10OS.jpg

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gramps1951 View Post
    Can this be installed on a bare drive?...
    You can use Nero or some other burning program to create an installation DVD from the ISO file you download.

If you have not already downloaded the ISO file you can download it from Win10 Tech. Preview ISO Downloads.

Once you have installed TP from DVD you will be able to upgrade to new builds as they are released from within TP, so you will not need to go through the download/burn DVD/run setup process again.

I upgraded from build 9841 to 9860 from within Win10 TP yesterday with no problems. It took about 2 hours; about 1 hour to download, then another hour to upgrade and sort itself out.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    You can use Nero or some other burning program to create an installation DVD from the ISO file you download.

If you have not already downloaded the ISO file you can download it from Win10 Tech. Preview ISO Downloads.

Once you have installed TP from DVD you will be able to upgrade to new builds as they are released from within TP, so you will not need to go through the download/burn DVD/run setup process again.

I upgraded from build 9841 to 9860 from within Win10 TP yesterday with no problems. It took about 2 hours; about 1 hour to download, then another hour to upgrade and sort itself out.
    BTW, if Win7 or Win8.1 no burning software is needed. Rt Clk the .ISO > Burn Disc Image
    7 & 8 both direct burn .ISOs to DVD.... natively.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Windows 10OS.jpg

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    BTW, if Win7 or Win8.1 no burning software is needed. Rt Clk the .ISO > Burn Disc Image
    7 & 8 both direct burn .ISOs to DVD.... natively.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Windows 10OS.jpg
    Thanks to all that have replied. I just burned the disk on my Win 8.1 laptop and will install on an old Dell 5100 running Win 7 currently. If it doesn't work there I'll toss a bare drive in the Win 8.1 HP 2000 and run it there. It's great to be able to give actual input before this ends up RTM!!

Mike from Canada

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gramps1951 View Post
    Thanks to all that have replied. I just burned the disk on my Win 8.1 laptop and will install on an old Dell 5100 running Win 7 currently. If it doesn't work there I'll toss a bare drive in the Win 8.1 HP 2000 and run it there. It's great to be able to give actual input before this ends up RTM!!

Mike from Canada
    Absolutely, Mike! Great to have the opportunity. And maybe help build a bit. Where in Canada? I'm (now) in Calgary.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Windows 10OS.jpg

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    Absolutely, Mike! Great to have the opportunity. And maybe help build a bit. Where in Canada? I'm (now) in Calgary.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Windows 10OS.jpg
    I'm in Windsor, Ontario. I'll get back to the group after I get things up and running. I actually burned the image on the HP laptop which came with a piece of Cyberlink software. Not too well written since it took a bit of head scratching to find the actual Burn Image option. Hopefully I'll get at it today since I am anxious to see the latest greatest from the guys we love to hate !!!

Mike from Canada