Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Address book issues

I have been having difficulties with my Outlook 2010 Exchange account. I keep getting "Object not found" errors. I narrowed it down to the address book.

My ISP (1and1) says that I should NOT be using a local data file for the contacts for the Exchange account, and that may be where the error is coming from, so...

Do I import the contacts from my local file to the Exchange file? Then, where do I tell Outlook that the contacts folder is on the Exchange server and not local, or do I? Because, when I open the address book and look at the Options, I see a couple Contacts showing, so, which is which? I see no difference between them. Would I need to import the contacts from the local file to the Exchange file?

Also, I have seen that rules are stored on the exchange server. Are views as well? Because, historically, it was my (local) data file that held all the views, so do I keep that data file for views, since I wouldn't need it for contacts any longer...or would I?

Goodness....

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    See Where does Microsoft Outlook 2010 save my information and configurations?. It seems you have these types of questions every time you start over with Office. Be sure to read the whole article and save the link.

Joe

Thanks
    Joe, I apologize. I looked through the link, and from what I am seeing, it appears that all pertinent data is stored on the server and then "temporary" files are created locally. Is that correct? If so, then I should be able to delete all the files and they would be recreated when the account is set up, yes?

Then

Once I have imported my contacts to the Exchange account -- which I have -- then why would I keep getting the object not found errors? Where would Outlook be looking? I even had kept the local pst that contained the contacts after I imported them, so what would be the issue with Exchange finding the object?

Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Administrator
    Thanks
    OST files are a local cache of what is on the server. You may delete any OST file and it will be recreated. PST files should not be deleted. They may be archives or for POP/IMAP accounts.

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    What are exactly are you trying to do when you get the error?

Have you tried to repair the Office install?
    It is NOT Exchange having the issue. It is Outlook.

Joe

Thanks
    I get that error when I am retrieving mail. If it is an Outlook error, then, (along with my OST issue (Duplicate OST Files?)), I just cannot seem to get the Exchange thing straight.

If everything is stored on the Exchange server, could I just delete the Exchange account (and all its files) and then re-set it up?

I talked to 1and1, and they have no help to offer. But it certainly gets aggravating, especially because if I keep getting errors, I don't know for sure that there isn't "data" being lost as well.

Chuck

Thanks
    Joe you asked me what the error was...I deleted all the OST's on ALL my drives, opened Outlook...it "rebuilt" the Exchange account, and then gave me this error when I tried retrieving messages.

Chuck

Error_total.png

Thanks
    Joe, I ran a repair this eve, and just now got the error...again. So...?

Funny thing is, if I just let Outlook alone, it will, more often than not, sync the folders fine. But, if I press F9, then I will near always get the error.

Chuck
    Last edited by CWBillow; 2014-10-25 at 03:18.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I goofed. That is an error trying to download the offline address book. Usually, this indicates a configuration problem with Exchange.

Joe

Thanks
    That sounds a lot to me like there is no "easy" fix...sigh...

How/where would I start with that? Do I need to re-install Exchange?

Chuck
    Last edited by CWBillow; 2014-10-27 at 00:38.

Thanks
    I found, at a MS Exchange support link ( https://social.technet.microsoft.com...?forum=outlook ), the following directions to fix this issue:

1) Delete the *.oab files that are on the test computer. By default, the *.oab files are located in subfolders in the following Outlook folders:
    In Windows 7 or Windows Vista: \Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\ Offline Address Books

Well, not only do I not have the oab file(s), I don't have the "Offline Address Books" folder either!

So, is that a "Now wonder you are getting errors!" Moment?

How can I fix that / this? Can I just delete the Exchange account in Outlook and rebuild it? Will just deleting it in the Account Settings remove all the related files for the account?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow

Administrator
    Thanks
    I know we had those same problems with OAB sometime back but can't remember what we did to fix it. I think it ended up being an Exchange problem. You mentioned reinstalling Exchange. Do you have that level of control over Exchange? What version of Exchange? Is it up-to-date with service packs, patches, patch rollups?

Joe

Thanks
    Joe,

I believe,since this is on a home network that I have the control necessary. The Outlook and Exchange both are 2010. I update regularly through WinUpdate so I am assuming I have all the patches. And I just ran a full backup last nite, so I should be OK as far as that goes.

Questions:

1: If I want to delete the Exchange account and "start over", will a removal through Outlook's Account Settings get all the files? Or would I need to totally reinstall Office (some type of Exchange files or configs)?

2: Since my ISP (1and1) is telling me that it is an Outlook issue and not from their end, would I be better off to totally reinstall Office?

3. If I were to reinstall, I would prefer to remain with Outlook 2010. Would there be any reason to go to 2013, since MS states that support for 2010 is still active, both from the Outlook and the Exchange sides?

I just do not understand why (it seems that) the problem is totally tied into using F9 to download mail, and to the Address book.

Chuck

Administrator
    Thanks
    Are you running Exchange on a server @ home?

Joe

Thanks
    No, it's through 1and1.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast