Thanks

Why You Donít Need to Install a Third-Party Firewall (And When You Do)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, an interesting piece, but there is a lot of opinion in the article, but no evidence is offered to back up the assertions.

I use the Windows Firewall myself, but sometimes worry why I have never had a pop-up Security Alert.

Is there a way to test the effectiveness of Firewalls, bearing in mind that at home, most people have a hardware Firewall on their Router.
    Last edited by Trev; 2014-10-25 at 13:29.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trev View Post
    ...Is there a way to test the effectiveness of Firewalls, bearing in mind that at home, most people have a hardware Firewall on their Router.
    Steve Gibson has been a leading authority on Internet security for many years.

Steve Gibson's Home Page

Steve explains firewalls

Steve's LeakTest firewall test

Steve's ShieldsUp UPnP exploit test
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trev View Post
    ...I use the Windows Firewall myself, but sometimes worry why I have never had a pop-up Security Alert...
    I work on many customers' Windows PCs, and so have seen many firewall alert prompts (most often because the PC has virus/malware infections which is why I am working on it).

On my own PCs I rarely see a Windows Firewall prompt.

Back in the "good old days?" of dial-up and Win3/95/98/ME it was considered essential to have a 3rd-party firewall because:
    (a) those earlier versions of Windows did not have a built-in firewall, and
    (b) very few dial-up connections had any sort of firewall.

Until about 2003 I was on dial-up w/ Win98SE, so used the "ZoneAlarm" firewall. Much time was spent messing around with ZoneAlarm's settings to get some reasonable compromise between security and useability (I don't miss that hassle).

After I upgraded to XP and an ADSL connection I continued to use ZoneAlarm until after XP's "Service Pack 3", mainly because I had not taken the "new" built-in Windows Firewall seriously.

About that time I read an article somewhere (probably one of Fred Langa's "LangaList" newsletters) about XP's firewall, which had a link to Steve Gibson's website. Long-story-short, I ran some tests on ZoneAlarm and Windows Firewall which indicated Windows Firewall was significantly more effective but without the configuration hassles. I have been using the built-in Windows Firewall ever since, quite happily.

Most of the customers' PCs I have worked on have had only the Windows Firewall. Of the relatively few who had a 3rd-party firewall, most had problems arising from their understandable lack of knowledge about what to allow, and what to block.

Also, there is the NAT (Network Address Translation) firewall in modern routers (AKA "modems") that substitutes IP addresses for outbound requests, and interprets and replaces IP addresses for inbound responses (hope that makes sense).
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Mr. Coochin! Nice to meet you! I have been using Comodo Firewall for some time now, guess it's an ingrained habit of mine since my DOS 3.3/Windows 3.11 days -- using a nonWindows firewall. Do you remember Tiny Personal Firewall? Anyway, tell me more about your Windows Firewall experience. My Comodo doesn't alert me much at all anymore, Firewall & HIPS set to either Training or Safe Modes.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/